Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Convince Me

Old 01-25-2012, 11:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deathboyardee
I'm a father but still thats not my reason for owning a jku. There is more versatility with the jku over a standard jk. I can haul my drums, pa, more music gear, lumber, camp/sleep, etc and more in it. Plus on top of that I can haul other people with me and let them enjoy the Jeep experience. With a jk those things just aren't possible and if not for the jku I most likely would not be driving a Wrangler now. I have had over 20 Jeeps in my time and I would pick my jku over any of them as it truely is a go anywhere/do anything Jeep.
x2

I loved, loved, loved my Sahara, which is why its still my avatar, but I swore if I ever got another Jeep I'd get a 4 door. I got sick and tired of the few times I did have back seat passengers they had to lose a body part to get back there and had to be pulled out with the jaws of life.

I got my JKU just in time--I've moved tons of furniture and countless other things since moving into my new house that I would have never thought of doing with my 2-door. Yes, I did move a sectional sofa once in my 2-door. I had to stand it up 12 feet tall on its side and drive it down the road. Two trips.

Sure I won't be quite as manueverable as a 2-door in deep woods. But then again, everytime I found myself crawling around in the woods in my 2-door I almost always ended up denting and scratching the hell out of the bodywork. Regardless of 2 or 4 doors I've sworn never to get that deep in the woods again.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have kids and went with the JKU b/c I liked how big it was... I know old school jeepers will hate me but the Unlimited is what opened the wrangler up to me. When I was in high school I always wanted the the xj cherokee and when I went to look for my first jeep I looked at the liberty and the grand cherokee but I think the jku hardtop was the closest thing to the xj.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BRSJK
if i wanted a 4 door, I would have bought me a Grand Cherokee.
Amen. the new Grand Cherokee is sweet.

However, I am considering a unlimited though for JK8 conversion. To me that is when the unlimited is at its best.......love the JK8 conversions.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by lemon2476
I've narrowed it down to 3 choices. JKU Rubicon, JK Rubicon, or LJ Rubicon.
Well I've owned all three, so thought I'm chime in. Here's my Jeep's in order of ownership: YJ, TJ, JKU, LJ, and now JK. Since you mention family, I would recommend the JKU Rubicon, because it would be a pain getting kids in the back of either two door. Yes, the JKU is the longest wheelbase, and high centering can be an issue compared to the other two, but with a lift, 35's, and regearing, it would be great.

Personally I prefer my 2dr. Rubi over the JKU I had, because it's got slightly more power due to the ligher weight, it's more fun to drive, and it doesn't need 35's (in my opinion) since it has a short wheelbase. But I don't have kids. If I had kids, it would be 4dr. all the way. The only thing I really liked better about the 4-dr., was that I could camp inside it. But I have both a trailer and several tents anyway, so not much of an issue for me.

As far as the LJ, well I got the idea after I sold my JKU to get one. But it was really hard going back to an older, more primative, rougher riding Jeep. It just didn't work for me, so I started over with a new 2dr. Rubicon. But since you're coming from a CJ, you'd probably think an LJ was a big step up, so it could work for you.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:53 PM
JK Newbie

Hey guys,
I truly appreciate the help. I enjoy reading what you guys have to say.
Planman, you're exactly right. I will need to regear being as I will go up the passes.
From what I'm reading, it sounds like you guys definitely recommend a 4 door. I would want the rubicon because I will be doing rougher trails where lockers are mandatory. Gearing down to 5.13 seems to be the best recommendation. Does anyone feel that that's too low to keep speed on the highway? By keeping speed I mean 65-70.
It also sounds like the new JKs with the upgraded engine would be the best option. However, my wife and I are both teachers. And we have seen a pay increase in 4 years. I don't think we can come close to affording a $38,000 vehicle.
Another thought running through my head would be to keep my CJ until the newer JKUs come down in price. But then by that time, I could have had an older JKU and swapped it for a new engine. Hmmmm.... Jeeps always keep you thinking and your wallet empty
Old 01-25-2012, 06:26 PM
JK Newbie

Okay,
So I found a JKU, non Rubicon, with 35s and 5.13s for 23K. I'm checking it out this weekend.
Does anyone offer a complete dana 44 with 5.13s and a locker?
What do you guys think? Should I move on this, or wait for a newer JKU with the new engine?
Old 01-27-2012, 04:42 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks Planman.
You've help me with my decision. Thanks for taking the time.
I've decided that I'll be purchasing an Unlimited Rubicon. If I find one that's 07-11, I'll get a manual and lift it 4 inched to through on 35s or 37s, haven't decided yet.
Although, if I don'e find anything, I don't mind holding out for a 2012 Rubicon when it drops into my price range.
I have a CJ now, when it sells, I'll be seriously pursuing a JKU.
Thank you JK Forum!

Quick Reply: Convince Me