Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Convince Me

Old 01-24-2012, 07:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convince Me

I have owned a Jeep since I was 15. I am still a proud owner of a Cj-7.
I have been interested in the JK since they were built in 2007. I drove a Rubicon JKU the other day for the first time. I love the Jeep. It's spacious and luxurious, something I've never had before. But I have two concerns. 1The power from the v-6 was very poor. I thought I could get a little ooomph from the engine but I was mistaken. 2 The length. I want to be able to do some wheeling in Colorado and Moab, trails like Pritchett Canyon, Spring Creek etc. Sitting at 117 inches I feel like the belly is too exposed and I would get high centered even on 35s.
I want to upgrade my Jeep so that I have something more reliable for my upcoming family. I want something that I can take to Moab, sit both kids and my wife and some camping gear in the back.
I've narrowed it down to 3 choices. JKU Rubicon, JK Rubicon, or LJ Rubicon.
As JK owners, what do you like about your JK, Unlimited or 2 door?
Do you have an issue with the power or wheel base? If so, what have you done about that?
Thank you for your time,
Josh

Last edited by lemon2476; 01-24-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:22 PM
JK Freak

As stated, the autos suck unless you regear to a very low ratio or have a 2012. I have an 08 2dr 6spd with superchips, and 35s.. No power issues whatsoever and I still run stock 3.21 gears.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:25 AM
JK Newbie

I would get a 2012 if I were you. If it is your daily driver and you have kids, I would get a 4 door. I have no kids, so I got me a 2 door. I do not like the way the 4-doors look, and if i wanted a 4 door, I would have bought me a Grand Cherokee. I love my 2 door, and I have the 3.8 (2011) and an auto. Plenty of power for me, it struggles somewhat over 65mph. My biggest complaint is it road walks alot for a 2011 vehicle, but is to be expected. You have to "drive" it on long trips. Mine has not been without it's share of problems. Constant water leaks, I have it fixed for the most part, and I am on my 3rd differential in 10,000 miles. Ring and pinion was set up wrong from the factory, and then the dealership set up the replacement wrong. So do I regret buying a 30,000 dollar Jeep? No, it is the most exciting vehicle I have ever had. I look forward to driving it every single day. It is an awesome experience for someone who loves the Jeep brand and it's heritage. Just do not set your expectations high, this is not a Grand Cherokee or your typical family car. Love it for what it is.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:26 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BRSJK
I have no kids, so I got me a 2 door.
You don't have to be a father to buy a 4 door
Old 01-25-2012, 05:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKU Rubicon

Sometimes when driving my 4 door, I forget I'm a father.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKU Rubicon
Hellz naw.

I love my 12' JKU.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lemon2476
I have owned a Jeep since I was 15. I am still a proud owner of a Cj-7.
I have been interested in the JK since they were built in 2007. I drove a Rubicon JKU the other day for the first time. I love the Jeep. It's spacious and luxurious, something I've never had before. But I have two concerns. 1The power from the v-6 was very poor. I thought I could get a little ooomph from the engine but I was mistaken. 2 The length. I want to be able to do some wheeling in Colorado and Moab, trails like Pritchett Canyon, Spring Creek etc. Sitting at 117 inches I feel like the belly is too exposed and I would get high centered even on 35s.
I want to upgrade my Jeep so that I have something more reliable for my upcoming family. I want something that I can take to Moab, sit both kids and my wife and some camping gear in the back.
I've narrowed it down to 3 choices. JKU Rubicon, JK Rubicon, or LJ Rubicon.
As JK owners, what do you like about your JK, Unlimited or 2 door?
Do you have an issue with the power or wheel base? If so, what have you done about that?
Thank you for your time,
Josh
It is 100% worth it to get a 2012 JKU Rubicon. If the 12' JKU Rubi is out of your price range, then get a 12' JKU Sport.

No offense to all the guys that have put thousands of dollars worth of mods on their rigs but if you want the most for your money a 12' JKU Sport with the Pentastar V6 overshadows anything under a Wrangler hood short of an all out Hemi swap.

The new 5 speed auto has a lower 1st gear and the configuration of the Pentastar is optimum for mudding.

obviously, tires for 17" wheels will be cheaper, so that would be your first and most essential mod.

And you can always add mods later as money permits.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:19 AM
JK Newbie

Haha not hating on the 4 door, I just like the old jeep look. I just like the size and the maneuverability of the 2 door. If I had kids and family I would get me something bigger. My next car will be a Grand Cherokee or JKU. For now, I'm rocking the 2-door.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:37 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm a father but still thats not my reason for owning a jku. There is more versatility with the jku over a standard jk. I can haul my drums, pa, more music gear, lumber, camp/sleep, etc and more in it. Plus on top of that I can haul other people with me and let them enjoy the Jeep experience. With a jk those things just aren't possible and if not for the jku I most likely would not be driving a Wrangler now. I have had over 20 Jeeps in my time and I would pick my jku over any of them as it truely is a go anywhere/do anything Jeep.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:48 AM
JK Junkie

As been stated. Go with a 2012 JKU X or Rubicon. An X can always be built into a Rubi slowly as money permits.

The new Auto is nice, but you'll have to gear lower and probably won't want bigger than 35's. With the Standard you can gear at 5.13 and run 37's with all the power you felt from factory.

Quick Reply: Convince Me