Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Contemplating a Jeep

Old 05-07-2008, 08:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Peter, just saw your message. PM me your email address and I'll send you some pics. And you're right about the LR3 being a pig; she's a hefty girl.

Originally Posted by Peter R.
The LR3 is a pig. A sixpack in the trunk will take it over 6000 lbs. The previous Disco's make for nice offroaders though if you spend some money on them.

Allright...I'm gradually starting to feel more comfortable with the idea of driving a J**p ! I'm looking forward to the test drive in a few weeks.

6 months is a long time to wait for a car though. Are they limiting Rubi production your end ?

Thanks guys !

Will, would you mind sending me a LARGE picture of that Jeep Green unlimited. I kinda like the olive drab idea, otherwise I'll end up with silver or black again. But I can't find any decent piccies of one. Thanks !

Peter R.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

unfortunately, i think the only way to find out if you're a jeep person is to own one. you'll either fall in love (like all of us) or it'll be for sale within a year.

my opinion is that the FUN of the vehicle outweighs the shortcomings by far. you might actually learn to appreciate the bumpy ride and plastic interior. it's no cadillac.....but we didn't want a cadillac.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:09 PM
JK Newbie

Driving a Defender with Koni heavy tracks for 8 years no one has to give me lessons on bumpy rides methinks In fact, with it's 120"wheelbase, the Unlimited should be even more stable than the LR 110. The 100" wheelbase of the 'normal' wrangler is considered the ideal whheelbase for serious offroading, but I like the stability of the 120".`

As far as interior is concerned, the 110 hasn't got one, so the idea of having dash vents is a real step up for me. Bloody hell, it's even got an aircon, cruise control and an rpm counter ! Revolutionary !

Come to think of it, I'm convinced. I'll order one today ! (actually I found a website wher I can get a bikini top and a tub cover for about 200 USD. I'm in love )

Peter R.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:27 AM
JK Super Freak

You wont regret it! I had a 95 AA Yellow D90 (#2272) that I absolutely loved. There were a few quality control issues, but it was fun to drive and got lots of attention wherever I went. I used to regret selling it everyday....until I got my Rubicon. Some of the things I like about my Rubi is that it has air conditioning, satellite radio and something I never thought I would like. Navigation. MyGig has been a pretty good system. I hope that they have topo mapping sometime soon. I also like that my Rubi has lockers front and rear, as well as the super low range transfer case and 4.10 gearing. The jury is still out on the electric swaybar disco, though. Of all of these things, the most important is that I can seat 5 people. If it were not for the 4 doors, I would not have considered the Jeep.

As far as CRD Wrangler transmissions, I can only repeat what I have read. The auto is quick off of the line and shifts flawlessly on and off road, but is not as fun as the manual tranny. The stick is slow off of the line, but soon catches up with the auto, time wise. Good luck and I hope you are patient! You may be in for a wait.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:17 AM
JK Newbie

Well, I'm about done contemplating. I'll be off to the dealers on tuesday, and I'll make him an offer. If he doesn't beie, I think I'll trot over to france and make them one.

I'm thinking Silver Rubi unlimited with an autobox.

I think...

Peter R.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:26 AM
JK Newbie

Trotted over to the local dealership today. According to the salesguy, they make 12% on a car. So I proposed he give me list -10%.

I got a whole story about overhead, a 3% price hike for the 2009MY (pricelist will be available in OKTOBER) and so forth.

He wouldn't sell me a car. Good thing I still have a couple

Peter R.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:59 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by YellowToy
WOW! $60K+ USD! That's a hefty bit of change. With the exchange rate right now, I thought they would be a steal. I once saw a thread about someone trying to import a JK Diesel to the U.S. It would be cheaper to buy it here, yank the engine & drop in an oil burner... I wonder if that VW Toureg would fit....

Anyway, I would not worry about build quality (assuming they are coming from the same plant as the U.S. versions). The only consistent complaints you will get have to do with the tops, a bit quirky & sometime leaky if not put on just right; and the paint quality is often not on par with the Japanese brands. Also, the support for the middle portion of the rear seat is questionable and I have heard a few people complain about the cushion tearing.

The axles & transfer unit are top rate. The V6 has been very reliable, if unremarkable (it's been in U.S. Minivans for a decade). And, while I believe the 5-speed auto is new (relatively) mine operates as smooth as the one in my Toyota Tacoma Pick-up.

Not to bash Land Rover (I love the LR3), but if you can live with the electrical system Rover puts together, the Jeep should exceed your expectations.
It is immaterial what he pays in Euro's equals to dollars. He get's paid in Euro's so it's like him spending 37,000 dollars in his currency for a lifted diesel Rubicon. I doubt you could get the same in Dollars for such a vehicle in the US.

Also, I find it funny that Europeans would shy away from American cars because of reliability. Most European car's are now rated globally as some of the least reliable cars on average produced. The Americans are now in the middle and the Jap's on top with a decreasing quality gap.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:26 AM
JK Newbie

I'll leave the Euro/dollar bit to you, but it isn't as clear cut. 35% of that 60K is taxes.

As to 'why a jeep' ?

Well, I need a 'real' offroader, so that leaves me 4 choices :

1. A Land Rover Defender. I have one of those. The steel rusts, the aluminum flakes, it leaks inside, the newest incarnation STILL has 122 bhp from a Ford Transit van engine, there's no auto box and it is now owned by Tata from India. On top of the 60K they want for one it still needs lockers, skid plates, rock rails and off road tyres since they deliver it with road rubber.

2. An Iveco Massif, an Spanih/Italian LR clone, with a good engine, but still on leaf springs, and it's a fake copy of what I already own. The 4 dealers that have tried to distribute them over here befor Iveco bought them went belly up. I'm sure they sold at leat 5 in this country.

3. A Merc G Class. The cheapest one (short wheelbase soft top) starts at 125.000 USD. And it's all uphill from there.

And then there's the Rubi.

This shed any light ?

Peter R.

Quick Reply: Contemplating a Jeep