Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Contemplating a Jeep

Old 05-01-2008, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I promise you will not regret buying a Jeep.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's to contemplate ? You can't explain it ,it's A JEEP THING!
Old 05-01-2008, 07:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Peter,
Welcome to the forum! I spent about 4 hours on a runway in Brussels waiting for the snow to let up on my way to Schiedam. From what I saw out the airplane window in the dark it was a very nice place.

Although the Defender is a great vehicle the Unlimited Rubicon, which I just bought, is a tremendous vehicle. I do not think you will be displeased in the least. I am very jealous of the option for the diesel in the European market!
Old 05-02-2008, 07:31 AM
JK Newbie

Rubicon unlimited in silver with a dual top from the dealers is about 37.000 Euro's.
From a German indi dealer the price is about the same, but I get a 4" lift and a winch bumper thrown in (no winch, I already have a very good one).

Translates to about 57K USD, incl. 21% vat. Need to add 3800 USD registration tax. For about 1000 Euro (1600 USD) more you can get the autobox, which is a 5 speed. And there have been no stories of spontaneous autocombustion I've heard about.

Peter R.

Last edited by Peter R.; 05-02-2008 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:07 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Peter R.
Rubicon unlimited in silver with a dual top from the dealers is about 37.000 Euro's.
From a German indi dealer the price is about the same, but I get a 4" lift and a winch bumper thrown in (no winch, I already have a very good one).

Translates to about 57K USD, incl. 21% vat. Need to add 3800 USD registration tax. For about 1000 Euro (1600 USD) more you can get the autobox, which is a 5 speed. And there have been no stories of spontaneous autocombustion I've heard about.

Peter R.
WOW! $60K+ USD! That's a hefty bit of change. With the exchange rate right now, I thought they would be a steal. I once saw a thread about someone trying to import a JK Diesel to the U.S. It would be cheaper to buy it here, yank the engine & drop in an oil burner... I wonder if that VW Toureg would fit....

Anyway, I would not worry about build quality (assuming they are coming from the same plant as the U.S. versions). The only consistent complaints you will get have to do with the tops, a bit quirky & sometime leaky if not put on just right; and the paint quality is often not on par with the Japanese brands. Also, the support for the middle portion of the rear seat is questionable and I have heard a few people complain about the cushion tearing.

The axles & transfer unit are top rate. The V6 has been very reliable, if unremarkable (it's been in U.S. Minivans for a decade). And, while I believe the 5-speed auto is new (relatively) mine operates as smooth as the one in my Toyota Tacoma Pick-up.

Not to bash Land Rover (I love the LR3), but if you can live with the electrical system Rover puts together, the Jeep should exceed your expectations.

Last edited by YellowToy; 05-02-2008 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:33 AM
JK Newbie

As a long time Rover owner (my wife and I have had Discos and an LR3 HSE), I have to say that our '08 Unlimited Rubicon is, by far, the most fun vehicle I've ever had the pleasure of driving. I used to knock all those "Jeep guys" (what do THEY know!) and feel very superior about my Rover. And now? I seriously don't know what I was thinking. I love the look, the feel, the wave....everything.

Oh, and definitely get the Rubicon. I'm planning on modding a few things, but it's nice to know that it's ready to go (to my tastes anyway) right off the lot.

PS - rumors of said vehicle being a chick magnet are NOT overstated or exaggerated. ;-)
Old 05-03-2008, 11:23 PM
JK Newbie

The LR3 is a pig. A sixpack in the trunk will take it over 6000 lbs. The previous Disco's make for nice offroaders though if you spend some money on them.

Allright...I'm gradually starting to feel more comfortable with the idea of driving a J**p ! I'm looking forward to the test drive in a few weeks.

6 months is a long time to wait for a car though. Are they limiting Rubi production your end ?

Thanks guys !

Will, would you mind sending me a LARGE picture of that Jeep Green unlimited. I kinda like the olive drab idea, otherwise I'll end up with silver or black again. But I can't find any decent piccies of one. Thanks !

Peter R.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:35 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah, price is for an Unlimited Rubi diesel.

Peter R.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:17 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by hansonian
first off welcome to the forum.

i can't give you any info on lifts but i'm sure someone here can. i can say this, after having owned 2 older model jeeps my new one is hands down the best. driveability, comfort and reliability being the things that stand out. the thing i don't like about it is the dash, but that's cause i got used to seeing a flat dash in my cj-5 and a almost flat dash in my YJ. in my opinion it looks too much like it belongs in someone's grocery getter CRV.

some people on here will complain the new jeeps don't have enough power but i haven't had any issues with mine (i even tow a boat with it with no problems). i suppose if you're getting the diesel version it's not a issue. kinda like comparing apples to oranges.

i have the manual transmission in mine and with the exception of a squeaky clutch (that fixed itself thankfully), it works flawlessly.

i think if you're coming from a LR you'll be happy with the Rubicon (i base this on knowing someone who had a Defender and bought a stock X and is happy with it).

that's my .02
This month's JP Magazine did a write-up on th CRD. They loved it. They said the power was a little weak of the line (not a surprise), but really came through once you got the RPM's up.

The only knock... it was a little noise for your normal SUV crowd. But, they did point out that so are the MFG MT tires.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I love Land rovers and have owned 3 differant discoverys. I never had to much trouble with them , but in the U.S. , they are listed dead last in quality and reliability. That said , I love the jeep and the simplicity it brings. You will be happy.

Quick Reply: Contemplating a Jeep