Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Consumer Reports buying guide. Opinions and Rants

Old 02-24-2011, 07:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Consumer Reports buying guide. Opinions and Rants

I've recently read the Consumer Reports Buuying Guide 2011 and was kind of disappointed in what i saw in regards to the Jeep Wrangler. I don't get it. My 08' JK Sahara is one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. I absolutely love it. I think there are some intangables that they just don't get when it comes to reviewing vehicles. How can the reviews be so bad but yet consumer satisfaction be so high. Also, ever since they made the Wrangler 4 Door its popularity has soared. People like them so much that they have one of the best resale values I have ever seen. Even the FJ Cruiser came in just over the Jeep. Really? Anyway one of the things that I have noticed is that the Jap imports rate high and the domestics rank low. Of course with a couple of exceptions. but the cars and suv's with the highest ratings were the most generic vehicles on the road. So in my opinion they already have a cookie cutter view of what a car, truck, or SUV should be then judge accordingly. An example would be the Ford Focus. Not to knock on Ford but I went and drove one this past weekend and although it seemed to be a good vehicle it was boreing and had terrible road noise but yet it was a rcommended buy. Anyway, I could ramble on about this all day so tell everbody about your opinions on "Consumer Reports" and their biasis. Fair or Unfair, Like or Dislike. This thread is open to all related material. Lets hear what you think.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:08 PM
JK Junkie

Ahh.... use the ENTER key every now and then

On topic... Consumer reports HATES the Wrangler. It's been like that for as long as I can remember. The fact is, their report is pretty spot-on. Most consumers would HATE the Wrangler as well. It's only fitting that they point this out to the soccer moms of the world.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:09 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by emoody007
I've recently read the Consumer Reports Buuying Guide 2011 and was kind of disappointed in what i saw in regards to the Jeep Wrangler. I don't get it. My 08' JK Sahara is one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. I absolutely love it. I think there are some intangables that they just don't get when it comes to reviewing vehicles. How can the reviews be so bad but yet consumer satisfaction be so high. Also, ever since they made the Wrangler 4 Door its popularity has soared. People like them so much that they have one of the best resale values I have ever seen. Even the FJ Cruiser came in just over the Jeep. Really? Anyway one of the things that I have noticed is that the Jap imports rate high and the domestics rank low. Of course with a couple of exceptions. but the cars and suv's with the highest ratings were the most generic vehicles on the road. So in my opinion they already have a cookie cutter view of what a car, truck, or SUV should be then judge accordingly. An example would be the Ford Focus. Not to knock on Ford but I went and drove one this past weekend and although it seemed to be a good vehicle it was boreing and had terrible road noise but yet it was a rcommended buy. Anyway, I could ramble on about this all day so tell everbody about your opinions on "Consumer Reports" and their biasis. Fair or Unfair, Like or Dislike. This thread is open to all related material. Lets hear what you think.
I frankly don't care

These surveys/polls/ratings can not rate the seat of the pants enjoyment that you get out of a Jeep. They are designed to find the right product for the average person

AND WE ARE DEFINIATELY NOT AVERAGE --- WE ARE JEEPERS
Old 02-24-2011, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

AND WE ARE DEFINIATELY NOT AVERAGE --- WE ARE JEEPERS [/QUOTE]

so true
Old 02-24-2011, 07:16 PM
JK Super Freak

CR has a hate for anything other than Japanese cars. They don't get it. A vehicle needs to be as boring as a sack of rocks to be ranked highly.

They also don't understand how the Jeep is used. They rate the rollover tendency. Imagine what they would do with a lifted rig.
It's a Jeep thing. They don't get it.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

consumer reports have always hated all the vehicles I like...Jeeps (from the cj on), landcruisers, LR Defenders, Hummers, Iz vehicross, etc, etc.

Be glad they dont like it, otherwise 4x2 would be the default option and you would have to order 4x4 special on your next JKU
Old 02-25-2011, 02:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Any comparison between the JEEP Wrangler and another vehicle is only valid if the other vehicle is a convertible 4x4 and has 4 doors (if comparing the Unlimited).

Having trouble finding another vehicle with those 3 simple requirements?
Old 02-25-2011, 02:51 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by emoody007
... I think there are some intangables that they just don't get when it comes to reviewing vehicles. ...
They rate vehicles like they rate vacuum cleaners: It's an appliance designed to get you from point A to point B. They've tried taking the Jeep off-road in past testing, but obviously haven't a clue what that really entails. They also disrespect many other "fun" vehicles, including in the past Trans Ams, Mustangs, etc. So, yes, it is the intangibles that they miss, and they don't seem to care. If you want to read a positive article about Jeeps, pick up the very latest issue of Overland Journal (the gear guide): The Jeep JK is on the front cover, and their description of it in the table of contents page is "The New Best of Breed".

overlandjournal.com/store/product.php?productid=134&cat=31&page=1
Old 02-25-2011, 04:38 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I kind of want to bash CR but they report for their audience and that is people that don't love cars.

People that enjoy cars and driving don't need consumer report to tell us what we want.

I'd say 90% of people I know only car if it looks decent, gets good mileage and is reliable. We just don't understand each other and never will. For example, I would like to thank the guy who traded in my '08 Rubicon for only putting 15k miles on it in 3 years, never off roading and keeping it in pristine condition. Within my first two months the skid plates are mangled and the inside was all mudded up.

Here's to those of us with a passion for automobiles!
Old 02-25-2011, 06:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While I do not really care what CR publishes, I believe it is true that most people would not be happy with a Wrangler. They are doing us a favor in a round about way.

It's a Jeep thing.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports buying guide. Opinions and Rants