Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

confused about tops

Old 05-18-2008, 11:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default confused about tops

Hi,
I just got my 4door jk with a hardtop. I'd like to replace the top with a simple mesh cover for shade only and the more I look at all those accessory sites the more confused I get!
I'm looking for a cover that would give shade to both rows of seats, is easy to put on and preferably does not need a soft top kit to secure it onto.
What is the best/easiet option out there?
Thanks!
Old 05-18-2008, 12:54 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Check into the Bestop mesh safari top. The advantage with having the soft top is that you can get something approximating a seal at the doors by leaving the door frames and doors installed. But, with a mesh top I expect you're not trying to keep rain out. LOL. I think it would look great without the doors. I have the Mopar top, but it's not mesh. I went with it because they have a version that doesn't require the door frames to reduce flapping. But, I'm guessing that's much less of an issue with a mesh top.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Check into the Bestop mesh safari top. The advantage with having the soft top is that you can get something approximating a seal at the doors by leaving the door frames and doors installed. But, with a mesh top I expect you're not trying to keep rain out. LOL. I think it would look great without the doors. I have the Mopar top, but it's not mesh. I went with it because they have a version that doesn't require the door frames to reduce flapping. But, I'm guessing that's much less of an issue with a mesh top.

What he said. I have not seen what you're looking for, that is going to fit properly without the door surrounds.
Why not just purchase the surrounds and get the mesh top from Best Tops, then you have the best of both worlds.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:36 PM
JK Newbie

OK, so best top mesh bikini toip + Quick Detach Header is what I would need.
Sound right?
Can someone with this combo post their thoughts on it, or pix maybe.

Thanks!
My JK is just four days and 150miles old and I'm loving it so far!!!!!
Old 05-19-2008, 08:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK2be
OK, so best top mesh bikini toip + Quick Detach Header is what I would need.
Sound right?
Can someone with this combo post their thoughts on it, or pix maybe.

Thanks!
My JK is just four days and 150miles old and I'm loving it so far!!!!!
It looks just like the picture except for the gap at the doors. I have the Safari top (not mesh) from Bestop. It straps on to the roll bar and all you need extra is the header piece. Here is mine in use.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the mesh one, it really helps block the sun. you can strap it to the roll bars, without having the soft top door surrounds. being mesh I do not have the flapping issues that others have reported when fastening it in this manner
Old 05-19-2008, 09:04 AM
JK Newbie

Do you have to remove the header piece to put the hard top back on?
Old 05-19-2008, 09:24 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by wapiti
I don't have the Bestop, but I'm certain that you do. The Mopar Sunbonnet top (which has the header bar built-in) comes off very easily--just attaches to the two brackets that the Freedom Tops attach to above the windshield. Obviously, it must be out of the way to reinstall the Freedom Tops.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wapiti
The header is actually attached (via snaps) to the fabric part. You undo two little clips and remove it with the fabric (as easily as removeing the clips for the front part of the hard top. The hardest part of the 5min or less removal or install (maybe 10 min install without breaking a sweat) is removing/connecting all the straps. I usually roll mine up starting with the header and place it between the wheelwells and the back seat when not in use. It fits like it was meant to go there.

EDIT BTW not to be rude but many questions have been answered here (search) and are answerable by looking at the installation guide for Besttop products on their and many vendors websites. I don't mind helping but the above question has an almost obvious answer.

Last edited by only_in_my_jeep; 05-19-2008 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:33 PM
JK Newbie

thanks for the replies and pic.
I ordered the besttop mesh bikini top and header today.
Can't wait to get them, and will post a pic once installed.
Living in so CA, I think I can have that on 10 months out of the year!

now onto the half doors....

Quick Reply: confused about tops