Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

...Complaints on Jeep Reliability... REALLY ?!

Old 11-16-2012, 08:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mook8651
The funny thing is that Toyota, Hyundai even BMW are produced more in the states then any of the big 3 so as far as jeep an others being built in USA well your actually buying from somewhere else an helping there economy then the US
That's why my wife used to drive a Subaru Outback (made in Lafayette, IN), and I have no problem buying the best vehicle, but I try to buy those that are assembled in the U.S.A.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Yankee
Reliability on any modern vehicle is a gamble IMO. I think Chrysler is still pinching every penny, so they avoid warranty responsibility and any recall the NTSB does not force. I do not think Jeeps are built with the best quality control.

That said, Wranglers are sometimes abused more than other vehicles by their owners, and then those same owners claim it is a POS and the manufacturers fault.

I therefore do not think the "JD Powers" type of report is going to be totally fair or even accurate.

My 5 year old JK has been very reliable, especially considering the abuse I have thrown at it. But that was luck.
I am glad to hear that your JK has treated you well.

I will argue that many, if not most Wrangler owners are mall-crawlers, who do not abuse their Jeeps off-road. While I do not take JD Powers, or any other 3rd party survey corporation as gospel, they are valid research tools along with asking owners you may know personally and forums like this one.

I am not a Toyota cheerleader by any means, but overall they have done a pretty good job with reliability; especially in their older vehicles (pre-2000).

How many times has Chrysler over-promised and under-delivered? Marchionne flatly states that Chrysler employees all complained that what the company needed (and may still need) is higher quality components and materials. The Jeep Grand Cherokee TV commercials from the last year or so are AWESOME, but are the vehicles really on the same level as a Toyota 4-Runner, LandCruiser, or even a Chevy Tahoe for that matter?

We all love Jeeps, but it would be great if we loved them for more than just their nostalgia and tremendous after-market support.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doc5339

I am glad to hear that your JK has treated you well.

I will argue that many, if not most Wrangler owners are mall-crawlers, who do not abuse their Jeeps off-road. While I do not take JD Powers, or any other 3rd party survey corporation as gospel, they are valid research tools along with asking owners you may know personally and forums like this one.

I am not a Toyota cheerleader by any means, but overall they have done a pretty good job with reliability; especially in their older vehicles (pre-2000).

How many times has Chrysler over-promised and under-delivered? Marchionne flatly states that Chrysler employees all complained that what the company needed (and may still need) is higher quality components and materials. The Jeep Grand Cherokee TV commercials from the last year or so are AWESOME, but are the vehicles really on the same level as a Toyota 4-Runner, LandCruiser, or even a Chevy Tahoe for that matter?

We all love Jeeps, but it would be great if we loved them for more than just their nostalgia and tremendous after-market support.
Well said my jeep is almost brand new and has given major problems my dads 03 4runner which he beats the piss out of and never keeps up with maintenance on time has given no problems what so ever and has twice the mileage
Old 11-16-2012, 08:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is a saying that say: the neighbor grass is always greener.

that say I compare reliability of my vehicule among other I owned. so far the jeep is being reliable to me.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GJeep
Toyota - the 'legend of reliability' - just announced (once again) a recall of nearly 3 million cars (Corolla, Prius etc'), because of steering and water pump problems.

When was a large-scale recall of the Wrangler, in the last 5~6 years ?!

Relative to the car industry, the Wrangler is in a good position on the reliability-order list.

That's more of a mis-conception though because most people in the auto industry know Chrysler products have been shitty for the last 30 years and most of their engines has been dogs and leaked constantly. The only reason you think they are reliable is because they don't have any major recalls and that's because they wont admit they have a shitty product. I'd rather see Chrysler have LOTS of recalls for all these problems vs no recalls when there's tons of problems lol

Personally, I've always liked Wranglers (CJs) since I was a kid but I never bought a vehicle other than GM because I knew they were reliable. The 350 engines would go forever and my '72 blazer never leaked or burnt oil and ran perfect and it got beat up and was used to haul heavy loads all the time. All my S10s and blazers would go 400,000kms on their V6 and 4cyl engines with no rebuilds and if I ever broke down I knew it'd never be serious lol With Jeeps, you've always taking a guess as to what the problem might be or if it'll be an easy fix. Unfortunately that's just how it is and after 30+ years Chrysler products haven't changed one bit. The Wranglers are WAY over priced for what they are to be honest. I don't think Chrysler is a in a good position for ANYTHING

Quick Reply: ...Complaints on Jeep Reliability... REALLY ?!