Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

...Complaints on Jeep Reliability... REALLY ?!

Old 11-14-2012, 01:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The word here should be responsibility, at least toyota is calling for a recall. Chrysler should be calling a recall but they won't. For a company to call for a recall shows that they are excepting full responsibility for an error they created, chrysler will never do that for them you need over a million complaints first before they would even listen. Remember Wranglers are reliable, its the company that builds them who aren't.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:34 PM
JK Freak

Which makes you question all of there products!! Why would you want to buy something that the company doesn't want to be held responsible for?

Chrysler has great ideas but makes shitty products an doesn't back them up which makes it worse
Old 11-15-2012, 07:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I hate to say it, as I am proud to buy American anytime I can, but...

if Toyota still made FJ40s, I would not be on this site. I owned a 1976 Fj40 with a GM 350 V8 and it was way more reliable than most Jeeps 25 years newer. As previously stated, the modern FJ Cruiser is a POS, and not really in the same category as a JK.

I am somewhat afraid of picking up my built to order 2013 JKUR in the new year mainly due to all of the problems: engine tick, 6-speed trans noise, etc. It should not be an issue for a generation started in 2007, with this being the 2nd production year with a new engine. I want to believe in Jeep, Chrysler and Marchionne, but they make it pretty hard. The proof of improvement is really in the pubic's perception as much as in the long-term reliability reports (JD Powers, Consumer Reports, Edmunds, etc).
Old 11-15-2012, 07:46 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by keithvegas

How do I have time for all this research? My 2012 engine let go with no warning at less than 14,000 miles and it has been at the dealer since a week from last Saturday without any answer of what happened or when it will be fixed. I have the lifetime warranty so I only get five days of free rental and I've yet to hear back if the last four days and anymore after are going to come out of my pocket or Chrysler's while I'm stuck driving a Town & Country instead of crawling rocks with the boys.
Aren't you still covered under your factory warranty?
Old 11-15-2012, 11:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Moochie

Aren't you still covered under your factory warranty?
Yes, as well as the lifetime warranty.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:57 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by doc5339
I hate to say it, as I am proud to buy American anytime I can, but...

if Toyota still made FJ40s, I would not be on this site. I owned a 1976 Fj40 with a GM 350 V8 and it was way more reliable than most Jeeps 25 years newer. As previously stated, the modern FJ Cruiser is a POS, and not really in the same category as a JK.

I am somewhat afraid of picking up my built to order 2013 JKUR in the new year mainly due to all of the problems: engine tick, 6-speed trans noise, etc. It should not be an issue for a generation started in 2007, with this being the 2nd production year with a new engine. I want to believe in Jeep, Chrysler and Marchionne, but they make it pretty hard. The proof of improvement is really in the pubic's perception as much as in the long-term reliability reports (JD Powers, Consumer Reports, Edmunds, etc).
The funny thing is that Toyota, Hyundai even BMW are produced more in the states then any of the big 3 so as far as jeep an others being built in USA well your actually buying from somewhere else an helping there economy then the US
Old 11-15-2012, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

I love my JK.....but the JK came out in 2007. I waited until 2009 to buy my JK. Why? Because, I figured it would take Chrysler at least 2 years to fix all the major problems and make the improvements.

Like right now...I would have loved to trade my 2009 in and get an equivalent 2012 JKU with the new trans and motor since that's my biggest gripe about my JKU. It moves like a dog when I step on the gas, but I knew that when I made my purchase. What stops me from jumping on the 2012 bandwagon and purchasing a 2012, is that I realize the new engine on the 2012 is a major change that may have some kinks that need to be worked out. So, I'm going to wait 2-3 years for them to get those kinks worked out.

That's actually one of the major reasons Toyota has been known for their quality over the years. They tend to not make large scale "Big" Changes to their top selling vehicles 1st. So for example, let's say Toyota comes out with a "new" engine like Chrysler did with the Pentastar. They will tend to put that new engine into their lower volume selling vehicles like a Highlander 1st, so they can see if there are major problems that happen when they start to mass produce. That way when they put that new engine in their top selling vehicles like the Camry and Carolla, the majority of problems have already been found and fixed and they aren't left with a large black eye. With the Pentastar engine, Chrysler added new production in Mexico for it....and what were the Jeep vehicles they put this new Mexico production Pentastar engines in 1st? The Jeep Grand Cherokee and the Jeep Wrangler. The 2 top selling Jeeps in the line up. They should have put that shit in the Patriot or Compass 1st but they're more concerned with trying to increase sales on their top selling vehicles, rather than trying to avoid a bad perception of quality.

Last edited by Rednroll; 11-15-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reliability on any modern vehicle is a gamble IMO. I think Chrysler is still pinching every penny, so they avoid warranty responsibility and any recall the NTSB does not force. I do not think Jeeps are built with the best quality control.

That said, Wranglers are sometimes abused more than other vehicles by their owners, and then those same owners claim it is a POS and the manufacturers fault.

I therefore do not think the "JD Powers" type of report is going to be totally fair or even accurate.

My 5 year old JK has been very reliable, especially considering the abuse I have thrown at it. But that was luck.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:21 AM
JK Newbie

Look at all the complaints on this forum in comparison to the tacoma or even the fj forum not nearly as many people are complaining like I've said so many times before I love the concept of jeep but I hate to say if toyota made jeep or even the fj40 in style again with a removable top there wouldn't even be jeep In the picture ohh ya and if they rebuilt a new fj 40 with a solid axle as well I think most people would make the switch
Old 11-16-2012, 08:22 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 07rubiking
Look at all the complaints on this forum in comparison to the tacoma or even the fj forum not nearly as many people are complaining like I've said so many times before I love the concept of jeep but I hate to say if toyota made jeep or even the fj40 in style again with a removable top there wouldn't even be jeep In the picture ohh ya and if they rebuilt a new fj 40 with a solid axle as well I think most people would make the switch
I also keep hearing that jeep is going to switch the wrangler to ifs as well once that happens I'm out

Quick Reply: ...Complaints on Jeep Reliability... REALLY ?!