Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Coldest you've rode w/o Top

Old 11-14-2007, 02:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

-15 after I rolled my TJ. Parts of the top were still on it, but not enough to consider it a top. I needed to get it home, it was about 4 miles.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

How about on the autobahn in Germany in winter with no top in an M151 Army Jeep?

Now THAT is cold.

Used to have mounted M-60 machine guns on the jeeps so we couldn't put the tops on. Of course I had to ride in the back seat too unprotected from the wind.

Originally Posted by kuba
dunno if this has been done before but..

lets see

Whats the coldest temperature you have driven somewhere without your top on (jeep top..). and it has to be a significant dive, not just re-parking.

Today it was sunny when i got out of school and took mine off, it quickly got cloudy and the coldest it got on my commute was 57 F (probably far from the record). It was a bit windy out too. Not the most enjoyable not having a sweater, just a long sleeve. Mostly likely the last time for a while here in MI.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

56 @ 70mph for 80 miles (not top/no doors) not cold by northen standards, but a humid cold feels a lot colder than the dry cold of up north
Old 11-14-2007, 03:59 PM
JK Super Freak

In my old YJ I left the frame up, unsnapped the top from it and pulled all the fabric and windows off. I had a ski rack that mounted to the frame and we drove to the ski resort with skis on the "roof" in 60 degree weather with the top off. Problem was I didn't put it back on before we went skiing. When we got back, the top was too cold and tight to get on without ripping it. My buddy hitched a ride with someone else so he didn't have to ride in the jeep with no top. I drove from Breckenridge, Colorado to Boulder at night, in the winter with no top. Thermo said 22 degrees when I got home. I must have smiled and waved at about 60 people on the way home.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:24 PM
JK Junkie

Today !!! On the 20 mile ride to work...the temp gauge read 39 degrees. I only had the freedom top panels off. And yes, the heat was on too... The air woke me up though
Old 11-14-2007, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spent 7 years with a CJ5 as my daily driver. It had only a bikini top. When it rained I got wet. When it was cold I was cold. Saw winter temps in the low 30's/ high 20's a couple of times every year.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:45 PM
JK Super Freak

LOL, what a bunch of wimps!

I remember one sunny winter day the temp went up to 38 deg, the top came off and I was in a TEE shirt, felt really good n warm to me! I won't even bother telling you the coldest I've driven in, but one night going down the highway the wind decided to take my top off. brrrrrr! It was a couple months before I could afford a new top back then.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:41 PM
JK Freak

50F in a pouring rain from Lyons to Fort Collins--50 miles--no roof, no doors.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:14 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by yellowbull
I drove to the Grand Canyon in January. I got caught in the middle of a snow storm on the way... Loved every minute of it. Must have been in the 20's or so.
You'll appreciate this, I was going to school in Flagstaff, some friends came in for Spring Break, so we drove down in my YJ to the Valley (Phoenix for those of you not from here) for the day, where it was in the 80's, so I dropped the top. Started back up the hill, but it was the evening and decided it was too chilly to put the top pack up, I had the old vinyl top and was afraid it would rip in the cooler temperatures. Before we knew it we were in the 20's going 65 and the 2 in the backseat were freezing their asses off. We had to stop about every 10 miles to rotate seats so everyone had a turn to thaw out with the heater. That was about the longest 120 miles I can ever remember. I owed those guys big time when we got back, a few rounds later and they were feeling much better.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the top on, but no windows in. It's been down into the 30's on my way to and from work here in the past few weeks. ALl the heater does is make my feet sweat. I plan on going as long as I can before zipping back up for winter. I kept getting strange looks while driving in to work during the downpour we had in the DC area this morning... But, as long as I keep moving, I tend to stay pretty dry!

Maybe snow will fall before I put the windows back in. I have definitely decided to pull the carpets and get the YJ spray-lined!

Quick Reply: Coldest you've rode w/o Top