Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Co2 Tank mounting locations

Old 01-27-2008 | 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Co2 Tank mounting locations

I've just got a co2 tank, I have a fire extinguisher mounting bracket to keep it in. The black metal kind that are also sold for the co2 tanks. Has anyone mounted one in the rear of their JK? If so where and how did you mount it?
Old 01-27-2008 | 08:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

x2. I just received my 15 lb Power Tank. I am searching/thinking for mounting ideas. I planned on mounting it to the "roll bar", but it is too large. I may need to exchange it for the 10 lb. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 01-27-2008 | 09:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't think I can mount my 10lb to the roll bar, not without some fancy kind of bracket anyway. If I mount it to the wheel well it will need to be up by the seat to clear the hatch to the storage in the floor. The wheel wells are curved down near the seat, so it'll mainly be mounted from the middle to the bottom, not much support up top. I don't want to mount it horizontally due to the space it will take up. Guess I'm just going to have to get in there and try some different mounting options. I want it to be supported at the bottom and the top since it's so heavy, I'm thinking just bolting it at the bottom isn't going to be enough support.
Old 01-27-2008 | 09:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Power Tank sells mounting brackets that are supported on the bottom as well as brackets for the roll bar. Just google Power Tank. I used their roll cage brackets on my TJ. They worked great!
Old 01-28-2008 | 08:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I used the Large rollbar clamps. I think a 15# could fit if you twist the tank inward.
Old 01-28-2008 | 09:37 AM
JK Freak

I have been meaning to ask - and seeing the tank in the same picture as the "baby on board" sign is good timing - are there are real safety concerns with mounting these tanks like that or secured in the back on the floor? are there worries that in an accident they become a rocket? Or are these tanks safer then the CO2 tanks you would get from a dive shop or soda company? Just curious.
Old 01-28-2008 | 10:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

With the four door hardtop, you can mount the tank just above the speaker.

The tank bracket is attached to the roll bar with a u bolt. The velcro strap just holds the bag with the hose in it.
Old 01-28-2008 | 11:10 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by deadspot
I have been meaning to ask - and seeing the tank in the same picture as the "baby on board" sign is good timing - are there are real safety concerns with mounting these tanks like that or secured in the back on the floor? are there worries that in an accident they become a rocket? Or are these tanks safer then the CO2 tanks you would get from a dive shop or soda company? Just curious.
Also CO2 in sufficient quantities is a poisonous gas. Don't know what would qualify as sufficient in a closed cab, but... Google Lake Monoun, Cameroon (Africa.)
Old 01-28-2008 | 01:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the pics guys. My prob is I have a soft top and the hardware is in my way, I might can make it work like yours Jack. I like the way yours is too Hunter, yours is a 15?
Old 01-28-2008 | 03:01 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by deadspot

Co2 is a liquod when under pressure, the tank will have app 500# of pressure. High pressure O2 and breathing air can be as high as 2600psi, these are missles. The Pressure will vary with outside temp. If in an accident and the valve were to get knocked off, it could kill you if not mounted to where it is pointing away from passengers.

Co2 is not a poisionous gas....it will however dissplace oxygen as it is heavier. Should your tank leak inside the vehicle it will put you to sleep because of the lack of oxygen. A 10# tank most likely, would not have enough gas in it to kill you, but would (could) put you to sleep. The chances of dying would increase with a hardtop over the soft top.

DOT will not allow us to let any person transport co2 in an enclosed vehicle. They can however transport it in a trunk prviding it is secured.

In all honesty, if you are going to be careful you will be ok. I do not know laws in other states but here in MD you can't take a cylinder through any tunnels, so you can be limited as to where you go.Also DOT requires that you carry a HAZMAT form in the veicle that is transporting any High pressure gas....If caught without it, you can be fined up to $1000 and if the tank is not labeled as to what it is, you can go to jail. (Think 9-11.....an 80cuft tank of hydrogen is like carrying a bomb)

Quick Reply: Co2 Tank mounting locations