Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

CNBC This Morning: Electric/Gas Wrangler in 2010

Old 09-24-2008, 08:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeepnoob
The red button must be the "Oh Sh*t" button when the thing starts sparkin'.

Actually that is the Easy button
Old 09-24-2008, 09:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks promising... Seems they could could regenerate the battery with a simple altenator of sort. I'm still liking the AIR car that was being created in India. At least the batteries wouldn't be an issue 20 years from now.

In my opinion, I hope hundreds of folks buy these and other Vehicles replacing the gas engine. My Gas engine will be cheaper to drive while others fight the electronic gremlins chrysler couldn't get right when they first created the JK. Talk about stall bug, it will be renamed to zap attack or something like it...
Old 09-24-2008, 09:47 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by berg
I'm not worried about an electric motor on each wheel getting in mud and water. I've seen plenty of fully sealed industrial motors that run in the worst conditions.

Just think about it, a high torque electric motor on each wheel each pulling independantly and each fully controled. No diffs to get full of water, no clutches ruined by shifting in water or mud. No automatic trans overheating.

Just running silently down the trail. Need power, just push the go petal a little more.

With the right design parameters you could make the JK EV fully submersable.
You could make each wheel turn in a different direction, right side forward, left side reverse. What would that do for tight turning on sand, dirt or mud?

If this is what is coming, I am there!
Didn't the Hurricane concept have a electric motor for each wheel, powered by 2 engines. Nothing new here, they've already been testing this concept, so it's certainly viable.

My biggest concern is not about mileage or off road capability, it has to do with overall impact to the environment. Studies have been done (http://cnwmr.com/nss-folder/automotiveenergy/) that show that hybrids are some of the worst in overall impact and the Wrangler is fourth least impacting. These studies are called dust to dust and are rather interesting. If you truly want to help the environment, you need to think of the big picture, not just the gas mileage once you take ownership.

Last edited by scouter4life; 09-24-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:38 AM
JK Freak

Does it have ejector seats? I'm in on this one depending on the price. I figure once this hits the market, give it a year or two, and I will be ready for a new Jeep (10 years from now).
Old 09-24-2008, 10:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

based on this picture... it looks like the jeep version will had 2 motors, 1 per axle. look closely and you'll notice they are keeping the solid axles fron and rear... guess there will still be diffs after all... not to mention, if they keep the dana44's and everything like it is now all the lift kits and such will still work. all they did was bolt an electric motor to the frame in place of where the output of the t-case would be.

Originally Posted by strat_53711
Got to love Jeep Marketing department on using buzz words and hype.

The electric motor might have big horsepower and torque numbers but to get that 40 mile range, I'll bet that they did 2WD straight line city driving at 25 mph (maybe only using 1/10th the power of that motor). Also note that the 400 mile range is city (again only requiring minimum motor power).

My best guess, using such a system offroad, you would get less that a 4 miles on total electric and the 1 liter gas engine/generator would only provide enough current to put 50 horsepower/60 foot pounds of torque down to the ground. That ain't going to get you anywhere fast nor will it get you unstuck.

Just look at the specs on the motor and the capacity of the battery.

200 KW electric motor being driven by a 27 KWh battery.

Not counting the battery energy loss at high rate of discharge, thats 8.1 minutes of run time at full power.

The system might work for the road going soccer moms but clearly this system will not work for rugged trail use.

Our best bet for EV in future years, Hydrogen fuel cell to an electric engine.

Strat_53711 (worked 12 years as a Battery engineer)
maybe its 27kw per battery. and as for the "peak" power of 200kw for the motor, think about this. the v6 we have now has a "peak" power of 208hp (i think it was) and that only happens at what? 4800rpm? so of course under full load it won't go far. hell, you won't go far with you v6 screaming at 4800+ rpms constantly and 20 gallons of gas either. so of course they did the test under low power and slow city driving.

Originally Posted by jeepnoob
The red button must be the "Oh Sh*t" button when the thing starts sparkin'.

probably right. it's probably a kill switch or something.

also, guess no one else has noticed that the shifting is done via that fancy screen inplace of the radio. the buttons along the bottom change the gears.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scouter4life
Didn't the Hurricane concept have a electric motor for each wheel, powered by 2 engines. Nothing new here, they've already been testing this concept, so it's certainly viable.

the hurrican did have 2 engines (2 Hemi 5.7's infact) but it had a very unquie transmission that split the power out to 4 drive shafts. no electric motors on it.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:10 AM
JK Freak

I thought the " RED " Button on the center console.................. was to control the self ejection seats. So when the electric motors overheat and the whole vehicle bursts into flames.............. NO ONE gets hurt !!
Old 09-24-2008, 12:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by HULKGREEN
I thought the " RED " Button on the center console.................. was to control the self ejection seats. So when the electric motors overheat and the whole vehicle bursts into flames.............. NO ONE gets hurt !!
SCORE! I knew it had to have ejector seats!

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...
Old 09-24-2008, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryno
I followed MD_Rubi's link. The pictures are huge so I'll just post a link.

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.au...026ev-1280.jpg

Even with the picture I couldn't tell you where the battery is.

the blue stuff is the battery
Old 09-24-2008, 01:40 PM
JK Newbie

Anyone else notice how low that battery comes down?

Looks like it will need a huge lift and armor to compensate for the low lying battery... or you'll scrape battery acid all over the rocks...

Quick Reply: CNBC This Morning: Electric/Gas Wrangler in 2010