Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Clutch Squeak!!!!!! Read this!

Old 09-15-2008, 07:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default would bigger tires and added rubicon axles void clutch warenty

I put 35inch tires and upgraded to rubicon axles would that void my clutch warenty. My clutch churps when i go from coasting to pressing the gass pedaland then back to coasting. Does the clutch churp from there not being enough pressure on the clutch and pressure plate. Mine did that from day one and I bought mine october 14, 2006

Last edited by hardcoreoffroad; 09-15-2008 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:04 PM
JK Newbie

my jeeps went out after it started to get squeaky and i hade to pay a grand for it im pissed im writing jeep about it they said it is a wear part but its on a 08 shoudny go out...
Old 09-16-2008, 09:06 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK-KJ
It's not a recall, it just tells them what to look for pretty much. If you take it in and say that you're clutch squeaks when you shift, they'll drive it to confirm what you said, and then do the TSB for the clutch disc replacement....it's like a cheat sheet for them, so to speak. And the lift won't matter, that has nothing to do with the clutch squeaking and they can't hassle you about it being lifted unless the lift directly causes something to break.
Thanks alot for the input, now i know how to handle the service writer that i love so much hahah
Old 09-18-2008, 07:00 PM
JK Newbie

Lightbulb

well my JK is lifted with alot of aftermarket,,,,they fixed it no problem. i knew something was wrong with it just by the feel of it. seemed a bit tight.
after they fixed it it is alot better. also before had problems sometimes getting her into reverse. all i know is something was screwed up in the clutch and it crapped on me at the worst possible time!

picture is worst day of my life when my brother had to tow me back to camp with his Ranger,,,,lets just say he had a big smile on his face. the jerk!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02278.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	13033  

Last edited by 08jeepjkAZ; 09-18-2008 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:49 PM
JK Newbie

Mine is the same as hardcoreoffroad. Squeaks after letting out clutch and getting back on the gas...or just coasting and getting on the gas again. SQUEAK. MIne has 10K miles. Noticed the noise about 3 weeks ago.

Probably something needs grease or oil.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:58 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yellaRubi
Mine is the same as hardcoreoffroad. Squeaks after letting out clutch and getting back on the gas...or just coasting and getting on the gas again. SQUEAK. MIne has 10K miles. Noticed the noise about 3 weeks ago.

Probably something needs grease or oil.
FYI, I had this problem and took it in - fixed it by replacing the throw out bearing.

Last edited by JackMac4; 09-30-2008 at 05:28 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:15 AM
JK Freak

OK, well after a year of complaining and contemplating having the dealer crack open the clutch, I finally did the deed this morning. ODO was at 11,991 when I dropped it off.
So, they are installing a new clutch disk as per the TSB.

I think that I am as stressed as when the wife went in for (minor) surgery. Sad, eh.
I hope everything works out well and I am happy with my "new" clutch. So far, experience with the dealer has been good, even got a free loander for this mess.

Anyone who has had this done have ady advice on what to look for when getting her back (shift boot, 4WD linkage, etc....)?

To be continued......
Old 09-30-2008, 05:27 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I've had that squeak for over a year and have been wheeling at Sedona, Moab and Disney with it. After all the horror stories I've read here, I don't trust the dealership to fix it properly. So, I won't be rushing off to have mine fixed. Anyway, I don't think it's covered under my warranty anymore.
good call, I had issues with the tranny grinding into 5th. The dealer decided to throw a new clutch in it. They did not know what else to do. Now it sounds like a pop can banging around inside...

and it still grinds, so now my clutch is crap and the tranny makes noise
Old 09-30-2008, 05:58 AM
HEK
JK Freak

I had mine replaced after a few trips to the dealer and finally with a meeting with the Factory Rep he approved the repair..., now when I got the Jeep back i could not believe the difference in feel alone, it's like butter almost like a different vehicle all together, so yes ppl do it and take the Tech Bulletins with you...be persistent....
Old 09-30-2008, 07:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jetsfan28
OK, well after a year of complaining and contemplating having the dealer crack open the clutch, I finally did the deed this morning. ODO was at 11,991 when I dropped it off.
So, they are installing a new clutch disk as per the TSB.

I think that I am as stressed as when the wife went in for (minor) surgery. Sad, eh.
I hope everything works out well and I am happy with my "new" clutch. So far, experience with the dealer has been good, even got a free loander for this mess.

Anyone who has had this done have ady advice on what to look for when getting her back (shift boot, 4WD linkage, etc....)?

To be continued......
They usually replace the throwout bearing while they have it out. My advice would be to call them up and make sure they install the throwout bearing with the shim kit (per throwout bearing TSB). They had my transmission out TWICE because the shims were not installed the first time.

FWIW - I have about 6,000 miles on my new clutch/t.o. bearing and all is good.

EDIT - See this thread https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ght=TSB&page=2 for details of my experience...

Last edited by mikejwil; 09-30-2008 at 07:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Clutch Squeak!!!!!! Read this!