Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Clutch Opperation and Opnions

Old 06-21-2010, 04:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Opperation and Opnions

Great forum, been reading many threads, awsome pixs too!

Looking to add one more JK to the driveway, this time strongly considering the 6-speed. Test drove a pre-owned the other day, night and day in terms of brinning the 3.8L to life, however, it felt like you had to put your left foot to the floor for proper clutch operation.
Didn't look under the the hood, does anyone know if this is a hydro clutch or not??

120Kms round trip per work day, with light stop and go, any comments, is auto better??

Finally I've only wheeled with an auto, and 98% of the posts I've seen on this forum say a standard you have 'more control when off-road', but none seems to point out what they mean by these statements.

This new JK's purpose in life will be DD and trail riding, can't see myself rock crawling any time.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:17 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Let me point out that there are actually quite a number of threads discussing the pros-cons of auto versus standard. For my part, I've driven standards all of my life, and can't imagine having it any other way (truth be known, I do own a Tenth Anniversary Edition Trans Am that is an auto--but only because the standards sold for a 200% premium!).

Anyway, I'm not sure what the comment about putting the clutch all the way to the floor means. When I shift, that's where the clutch goes. Do you mean there isn't enough pedal just in case you don't get it quite all of the way? In that case, it sounds like something is wrong--maybe have a mechanic check it out.

As for more control off road--you can modulate the location of the pedal to allow more or less engine torque through to the wheels. Sometimes it's handy, such as in slippery conditions, to use the clutch versus the throttle to control wheel speed and torque. Remember: Because of all of the gearing in 4WD-LO, there's a lot of torque going to the wheels. Sometimes too much so. And you're effectively shortening the life of the clutch the more you do this.

Another advantage I find with the standard is it can be push started. Sometimes, in an off-road situation, that could be handy.

One possible disadvantage of the standard: Don't shift when in water. Select a gear before water entry and stay in it until water egress.

Quick Reply: Clutch Opperation and Opnions