Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

clear coat peeling

Old 01-17-2011, 08:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default clear coat peeling

My Jeep is only 6 months old and the clear coat on the hood is starting to peel. Has anyone else had this problem? I am any less of a man if I take it to the dealership to complain about something like that on a vehicle that should be covered in mud and scratches anyway?
Old 01-17-2011, 09:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mud and scratches are your fault... That's ok... You can set your jeep on fire if you want to.... But clear coat peeling? That's unnacceptable.

It's like "there you go sir, your new 2011 JKU... we removed the front bumper... There should be a steel one anyways "

No no
Old 01-18-2011, 09:16 AM
JK Junkie

Get it in ASAP, paint is usually covered for a shorter period than most other items. Fortunately this does not seem to have been an issue in the JK's up to this point, so might have been an error in the painting process.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:36 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by scouter4life
Get it in ASAP, paint is usually covered for a shorter period than most other items. Fortunately this does not seem to have been an issue in the JK's up to this point, so might have been an error in the painting process.
X2...get it in ASAP so they can get it repainted and cleared properly. Also, take a good walk around your jeep to see if there is any more evidence of peeling Clear on other panels.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:02 AM
JK Freak

I'm agree too. ASAP! No way should clear coat peel now.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Paint will only be covered 12 months or 12,000 miles at best (can't remember off the top of my head). Some folks confuse paint defects with the corrosion warranty - - - not the same thing (corrosion warranty covers perforation of body and frame components - i.e. rust through, not bubbles, peeling etc. of paint).

Get that bad girl in the shop quick
Old 01-18-2011, 10:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bingote
Mud and scratches are your fault... That's ok... You can set your jeep on fire if you want to.... But clear coat peeling? That's unnacceptable.

It's like "there you go sir, your new 2011 JKU... we removed the front bumper... There should be a steel one anyways "

No no
lol good analogy
Old 01-18-2011, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by phantomandy
Paint will only be covered 12 months or 12,000 miles at best (can't remember off the top of my head). Some folks confuse paint defects with the corrosion warranty - - - not the same thing (corrosion warranty covers perforation of body and frame components - i.e. rust through, not bubbles, peeling etc. of paint).

Get that bad girl in the shop quick
I am at about 6 months, 21,000 miles....hopefully they will still cover it.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Papa Surf
I am at about 6 months, 21,000 miles....hopefully they will still cover it.
Damn,,,

I thought I drove alot,...I agree, take it in and hopefully they take care of you.. Let us know how it turns out for you.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:28 AM
JK Jedi

I would think the Clearcoat would be covered under the standard Bumper to Bumper warranty. I know my bubbling hinges were covered under my 3/60K km bumper to bumper warranty when I had 56K km's. You can make a case that this clearcoat stripping off will cause corrosion perforation before the corrosion/rust warranty is up which has a 60month/100K mile warranty!

Worse case if they don't cover it....you can look at an AEV hood and get it painted.

Quick Reply: clear coat peeling