Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Cleaning your jk

Old 11-28-2011, 04:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning your jk

What's the best way to clean the rig after a run, and how do you guys handle surface scratches from trees bushes ETC.... ??
Old 11-28-2011, 04:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

You need a power washer!! Hit the jeep with the power washer (body, undercarriage, and even under the hood) Then give her a normal soap and water wash. Then I use a scratch remover wax which buffs out most scratches.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys! I just don't want the surface scratches thts my fear I have a few but it looks to pretty so I'm afraid of that and also I have powder coated flares and bumpers any tips on that??
Old 11-28-2011, 06:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Personal experience has shown that powder coat loves WD-40
Old 11-28-2011, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Will that halp it from being scrathed up? Mines black so how does that take trees? Or bushes?
Old 11-28-2011, 03:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nothing is going to prevent them from getting scratched up, however WD-40 will give them a deeper/darker color and protect moderately against corrosion. The WD will nonetheless help conceal and even remove scuff marks. For deep scratches on PC your best bet is a paint pen or a small paint brush.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:03 PM
JK Newbie

Here is my process:

Rinse wheels with Power Washer and Meg's Gold Class Soap

Rinse from the Top to Bottom with PW, followed by Meg's Gold Class Soap applied via Cobra Microfiber Mitt(s). I utilize the "two bucket method" where I have one bucket filled with soap and second bucket of clean water. After each application of soap I rinse the mitt in the water only bucket prior to soaking it in the soap bucket to minimize the chance that I wash the vehicle with a dirty mitt and cause paint swirls.

I then dry the Jeep with a waffle weave microfiber towel and use a leaf blower and/or compressed air to blow out all crevices. Tires, soft top and interior/exterior plastic are then dressed with 303 Aerospace Protectant which gives it a nice matte factory appearance finish. Windows are treated with Rain X.

After drying I then top the paint off with my wax or sealant of choice. On the Jeep I like to use a sealant like Rejex or Zaino for durability purposes in the AZ Sun, but if I feel like getting that really "wet" look I will apply a nice Carnuba Wax.

Swirls and scratches are inevitable if you off-road your Jeep, so I like to do a two or three step polish using Menzerna Products and my Porter Cable 7424 Dual Action Polisher at least once a year.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:12 PM
JK Junkie

My method is in my opinion the best.

1: Open all doors.
2: Turn on garden water hose.
3: I use a fluffy pad thing with micro fiber danglys to wipe off dirt and bugs off outside.
4: a. Then rinse out the inside and wipe it down as well.
4: b. If really cold, just vaccumm inside.
5: Then wipe down ouside and inside with Absorber towel.
6: Smile.

Free water from a campus spigot. $1 wash pad from store. Stolen towel Absorber from brother.

Love college life.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:25 PM
JK Junkie

Up here in Montana the roads are Soo bad all year round. Dust and mud is summer mag chloride in winter. She just goes to the spray off car wash every once in a while and I just pressure wash her off and she is good for a little while. Haha

Quick Reply: Cleaning your jk