Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Cleaning up a Mess...

Old 11-01-2010, 04:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks, mate. If it were me I'd take to a professional valet/detailer and have them deal with it. They'll have the right stuff to get it all shiny again. If you do it yourself and mess up either the paint, handles or both it will be a lot more expensive than the bucks spent at the detailer. Plus, you can just go grab a nice burger whilst someone else fixes it for you.

Then I'd see if I could find the little sod who did it and present his folks with the bill.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the clear coat definitely will NOT like Brakleen.. esp the thin clear on our jeeps...

you will likely need that buffed off.. i think that spray foam has some acetone like substance in it that likely ate into the clearcoat a little....

I have high res security cams on the outside of my house to prevent brats from doing that stuff to me... and if they do, they get caught....

its amazing what a security camera picture of a kid trashing something .. then showed to the local school bus drivers does to help catch the brats...

-Christopher
Old 11-01-2010, 06:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First thing I'd do is find out who did it and whoop his ass.........I've used nail polish remover on the plastic with succes...
Old 11-01-2010, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

That sucks, you can use break clean on the paint.( I prefer wax and grease remover or rubbing alcohol) Since it is a base coat clear coat system. You won't do damage. It may dull but a quick rub will bring it right back. Since clear cures and doesn't dry you don't have to worry about it when using solvent based cleaners
Old 11-01-2010, 07:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the good news is most of it came off without a problem... The door handles and fender started going cloudy so i stopped. Better news is they found out who did it. Way to go Danbury PD! The rest... Well I'm going to let a detailer clean up the loose ends on someones dime :-) thanks for all your suggestions!
Old 11-01-2010, 08:06 AM
JK Freak

And that my friends is why I parked in the garage for Saturday night.
I don't trust the little punks in the neighborhood.

Glad to hear you got most of it off and they caught them.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:51 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by billheese
So some butthead in my neighborhood decided it would be funny to cover my door handles and windshield wipers with spray form insulation. I've gotten most of it off but there are places on the paint that I can't get clean and the non painted part... well let's just say that I can only really remove the bulk. Anyone have any ideas how to remove this stuff? Thanks in advance!
]
That is brutal.... I would drive down to a good auto repair shop and have them take a look and see what they suggest and what the cost is to remove the rest and make your JK look like new? Hope you get the $$ for repairs out of the kids or kids parents. Man what people do to other's property...

Originally Posted by Ario56
eggs will destroy a clearcoat if left over night... i think its the eggs, might be the shaving cream. either way... its still no good
it's the egg that destroys the clearcloat!
Old 11-01-2010, 12:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've never used any of the things but I do know that you don't want to use, but I do know that any brake cleaner I've ever seen is corrosive to paint.

I always use goof off (or goo gone) and/or pure alcohol to clean things off of paint.... but I've never ever had expanding foam on there either... just my .02$
Old 11-01-2010, 03:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Man I hope it cleans up right. sorry to hear the cops found the little B---tard before you did.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:50 PM
JK Junkie

intestinal and stomach juices remove about everything. Step one is find the kid, Step two is to disembowel him, step three is the use a light sponge dipped in entrails and lighty buff the area.

If it does not work.. well, at least your neighborhood is safe from vandals

Quick Reply: Cleaning up a Mess...