Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Cleaning under the hood

Old 07-28-2010, 08:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning under the hood

How do you clean under the hood are there anythings I should be careful of? I went mudding last night and I opened my hood and everything was caked with mud. I have a power washer do I just powerwash everything and be careful of the wires and battery?
Old 07-28-2010, 08:24 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i pressure wash EVERYTHING! no issues yet.. usually u wanna avoid the important electricals like alt andsuch, but i would rather have clean water dry in there than dirty muddy water. use some degreaser first then blast away!! i stand on my bumper and wash down.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:18 AM
JK Freak

Don't put water in the alternator, on the terminals (near the electric box)
And of course, not into the intake box
Old 07-28-2010, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've seen the carwash steam clean under the hood and the one thing I've seen them do is having the car running while they do it, also apparently the car was running for a little while already. After that they just let it sit and run to dry off. On the other hand I had a Cadillac that they steamed cleaned my engine and that was the end of that car nothing but problems afterwards.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:06 PM
JK Junkie

I just powerwashed the whole thing clean avoided the electricals I guess it should be fine I didnt put it in the intake I let it sit for a couple minutes then started it up.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I wait tell it is cooled off. I hose it off then spray simple green on it let it sit for about 5min.
then I hose it down one more time. Clean and smells good!!!
Old 07-28-2010, 01:42 PM
JK Junkie

I just moved it out of the driveway to the side of the hose to hose it down so it wasn't hot just warm. I have never seen the inside so clean since I bought it and I just powerwashed and wiped it dry.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by matt852
How do you clean under the hood are there anythings I should be careful of? I went mudding last night and I opened my hood and everything was caked with mud. I have a power washer do I just powerwash everything and be careful of the wires and battery?
I just use a hose and a rag and spray everything that has mud on it including the electrics! go for it and then go out and get a fresh coat of mud on. oh yeah, i use the hose on the interior to. --- note to self, put the roof up before deep water muddin ---
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	JK Snorkel 018..jpg
Views:	87
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	79023   Click image for larger version

Name:	JK Snorkel 023..jpg
Views:	101
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	79024   Click image for larger version

Name:	JK Snorkel 020..jpg
Views:	97
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	79025  
Old 07-28-2010, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by heepenjim
I wait tell it is cooled off. I hose it off then spray simple green on it let it sit for about 5min.
then I hose it down one more time. Clean and smells good!!!
I do the same exact thing, nice and easy and looks like new afterward plus simple green is ok for the environment.

I don't like the pressure washer idea, too much pressure on the sensors and such could force water into them where a nice easy spray from a hose wont.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:39 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Mariner
I just use a hose and a rag and spray everything that has mud on it including the electrics! go for it and then go out and get a fresh coat of mud on. oh yeah, i use the hose on the interior to. --- note to self, put the roof up before deep water muddin ---
Mine looked like that a couple hours ago except you couldn't see the V6 symbol I left the top down too when I was playing in mud. Where do you spray the simply green? I only sprayed with the power washer at the big metal pieces never at plugs.

Quick Reply: Cleaning under the hood