Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Cleaning under the hood.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to do this to my 97 BMW (328i), the engine bay looked like new when I sold it with 230,000KM (and bought my JK )
  1. Light spray with water (helps the de-greaser spread around)
  2. Spray down with de-greaser of choice (I use Gunk brand) and let sit for a few minutes
  3. Spray down with water, taking care of the items previously mentioned (air intake, electricals, etc...)
  4. While still wet I'd give the bay a generous spray down with Armor All
  5. Finally I'd let the motor heat up about half way on the temp guage to get the moisture out and let the Armour All dry evenly

Always comes out looking like new!

Last edited by Atticka; 09-08-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:41 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Atticka
I used to do this to my 97 BMW (328i), the engine bay looked like new when I sold it with 230,000KM (and bought my JK )

L
  1. ight spray with water (helps the de-greaser spread around)
  2. Spray down with de-greaser of choice (I use Gunk brand) and let sit for a few minutes
  3. Spray down with water, taking care of the items previously mentioned (air intake, electricals, etc...)
  4. While still wet I'd give the bay a generous spray down with Armor All
  5. Finally I'd let the motor heat up about half way on the temp guage to get the moisture out and let the Armour All dry evenly

Always comes out looking like new!
Does that actually work? It would sure save me alot of time and effort if it does.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

It did for me on the BMW, mind you I wasn't off road much in that car

If you have a decent amount of mud or dust you may want to give it a better initial wet down to get the bulk of the grit out. The de-greaser and Armor All is the finishing touch to give it a shine.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nothing has worked for me to get rid of the mud stains.. the soft top and engine are permanently stained in my book....

...Its a Jeep thing.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:07 PM
JK Freak

Default Simple green

I echo the previous post...

1. First cover Air box and Fuse box with plastic bags, sheeting or whatever you got.

2. Spray engine area liberally with Simple Green and let it dry (this breaks down the mud -you'll be amazed)...

3. Hose down the engine (while not running)...

4. Repeat 1-3

5. Scrub with a dish scrubby or brush where elbow grease is needed.

6. Hose down the engine again, then Let it dry.

7. I put a big electric fan blowing on the engine to promote airflow and get it to dry quicker... you can also make sure you are in the sun...

8. Remove plastic and double-check that no water got in either area.

9. Start the JK and let it run for awhile to dry up with engine heat.

The downside is, you never really get it all 100% clean (it's an engine, after all)...

The upside is your engine will smell really minty/ pine scented!
Old 09-14-2009, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Spray down with Simple Green , wait 5min, hose off. Careful around electronics and air intake, cover intake with a plastic bag or something. I do not put WD-40 or armor all on any of it.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bluesurf09
Not to sound like a girl or a newb (2 things I am) but why would you want to clean under the hood? Does it serve a function? I have never cleaned under the hood of any of my vehicles and I never thought jeep owners cared about that. I thought only show cars cleaned up for shows. Well okay I have cleaned out the leaves and pine needles so maybe I have done some light cleaning on my vehicles before.
believe it or not a clean engine runs better. a light coating of dust will slightly insulate and eventually the dirt gets into places it shouldn't like alternators and wirring connectors. if using a pressure washer stay back 3-4 feet and away from the air box. i would worry about covering anything what do you guys think is happenning under the hood when you drive down the highway in a rain storm. no one wants to get out in the rain but check it out next time...............suprise every thing is wet
Old 08-17-2011, 02:26 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JEEP THRILLS

believe it or not a clean engine runs better. a light coating of dust will slightly insulate and eventually the dirt gets into places it shouldn't like alternators and wirring connectors. if using a pressure washer stay back 3-4 feet and away from the air box. i would worry about covering anything what do you guys think is happenning under the hood when you drive down the highway in a rain storm. no one wants to get out in the rain but check it out next time...............suprise every thing is wet
Hahaha this made me laugh

Quick Reply: Cleaning under the hood.