Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Cleaning under the hood.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:27 AM
db1
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning under the hood.

How do you guys clean your motor and engine compartment?
Old 09-07-2009, 05:44 AM
JK Freak

I use Armor All a couple times a year. This helps when the engine gets really dirty, a little bit of water from the house and the dirt/mud comes right off. For the first cleaning, just wet it down with the house, being care of the airbox, clean it with a soapy rag and you should be set.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:58 AM
JK Junkie

Don't put water on the wiring, terminals, and into the fuse box
Old 09-07-2009, 06:15 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spray down with Simple Green , wait 5min, hose off, spray with WD-40. Looks like new. Carful around electronics and air intake, cover intake with a plastic bag or something.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:59 AM
JK Jedi

Hose off and wipe down, avoiding all the areas others have mentioned.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:18 AM
JK Freak

Best thing to do is put a bag over your intake, alternator and tried to avoid soaking any sensors. Don't use a pressure washer, if you have a garden hose with the multifunction trigger thing use that but not the jet setting use shower or something with alot less pressure. I like Simple Green Max cleaner/degreaser and armor all for all the plastic/hoses etc.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not to sound like a girl or a newb (2 things I am) but why would you want to clean under the hood? Does it serve a function? I have never cleaned under the hood of any of my vehicles and I never thought jeep owners cared about that. I thought only show cars cleaned up for shows. Well okay I have cleaned out the leaves and pine needles so maybe I have done some light cleaning on my vehicles before.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:19 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bluesurf09
Not to sound like a girl or a newb (2 things I am) but why would you want to clean under the hood? Does it serve a function? I have never cleaned under the hood of any of my vehicles and I never thought jeep owners cared about that. I thought only show cars cleaned up for shows. Well okay I have cleaned out the leaves and pine needles so maybe I have done some light cleaning on my vehicles before.
I live in Quebec. A province of MUD and WATER. I invite you to wheel at the Terrebonne's Trail. After an hour, you will have one inch of mud on your engine. You will understand why the Jeepers clean under the hood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf12noBwR1k
Old 09-07-2009, 07:22 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by bluesurf09
In my case it was a good thick coating of redrock dust from about 100 miles of trails and dirt rodes over a three day period. That stuff was everywhere. Had a nice orange spot in the driveway until the first good rain after hosing the engine compartment down.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys for not giving me flak for my posting. I have not gone through any mud or soiled up under my hood yet. When I do I will be on here ASAP searching threads and posting for advice from you gurus if I can't find my answer.

Quick Reply: Cleaning under the hood.