Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Cleaning black fenders & bumpers

Old 02-25-2010, 01:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been using Mothers back to Black for years, and I can't say anything bad about it. I follow up with 303 and the fenders and plastic trim to stay nice looking for quite a long time. Going to give the Gold Class Trim Detailer by Meguiar's a try when it gets nice out. Heard quite a few good stories about the stuff removing dirt, mud, and even wax residue.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can just see it now, i will be in shit again for stealing my wifes cleaning supplies.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:24 AM
Former Member

Default A warm day in NY

It happened last weekend when it was 45 and sunny. I decided to tackle the very subject of this thread, stained fender flares and bumpers due to off-road excursions at Rausch. In the 13 months that I have owned the Jeep, I never received results quite like I did last weekend. Simply stated, here's what I did:

1. fill a bucket with warm soapy water (I think any car wash soap is o.k., as I have used a bunch over the years).

2. Dip a scrubbing brush (I stole mine from the bathtub) into the water and scrub the flare in small sections. Check that you are not scratching the fender flares and bumpers...if you care, that is! My brush did not scratch anything at all.

3. wipe clean with a wet cloth and dry. scrub again if necessary and repeat process.

4. immediately apply UV-Restorer like Armor All and you are all set.

For me, the brush was the key, as it was able to penetrate the small grooves on the factory fender and bumper plastic.

I will take pics of this the next time I clean it. Going to Rausch in April, so it should get good and muddy then.

Hope this helps and happy snow!
Old 02-26-2010, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks alot for the tip this has really been buggin me
Old 02-28-2010, 08:20 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by Mk-Dubai
thanks alot for the tip this has really been buggin me
I know what you mean. I would get everything else clean, but the fender flares. This should work great for you. Best of luck!
Old 03-01-2010, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
no it don't.......
I've been using ICE on mine since I've had it. It has always worked great for me and is super easy to use. I've never had anything turn white and my Jeep is all black.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:05 PM
JK Newbie

I've been using meguires nxt protectant. works great, really gets them black and last better than a month with no residue that makes the dust stick.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:40 PM
JK Freak

i made a post in the everything thread. anyway here is what you need to do.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Cool

303 Aerospace Protectant (that's the product name), here's a pic:

Old 06-20-2011, 06:50 PM
JK Freak

I took all of my plastics off, cleaned them as well I could with an all purpose cleaner and some varsol. It cleaned up very well. Then I applied a plastic primer followed by some rocker guard coating. It looks prime! The problem with the stockers is that they are very porous and allow dirt in. Now that they are coated the dirt can't penetrate and can be easily cleaned.

Quick Reply: Cleaning black fenders & bumpers