Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Class of 2012

Old 10-12-2012, 08:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wishithadahemi
Well took jeep in for second time today drivers side head lifter or valve has gotten louder my brother in law noticed it and he dosnt drive a jeep.Getting frustraiting now last time they told me that the 3.6 does have a louder injector pulse and i know that but they dont listen to a really picky person.
So took in today for worn idler pulley bearing too much mud oops....Now i know it a problem jeep makes a noise sounds like a bad valve releasing air when motor shuts off and tick is loud as hell and they told me that motor is still not broken in at 9500km also took it beside another 2012 and sounds the same wich sounds like bs to me and that they did hear a tick but still under warranty all i can say is wtf.
I guess the f.ing head has to blowup or cease up to be changed taking to second dealer tomorrow to see for another chance at getting fixed now
Just curious... can you hear it (very pronounced) when the hood is closed? The reason I ask is I had heard one ticking loud enough to be annoying and the hood was closed. Conversely... I don't have the ticking sound (currently at 7500 miles) and I push mine to the limits at times (especially when getting onto the freeway).

So my point is... if you can hear it with the hood closed then the dealer is 'out to lunch' on their assessment and there is an issue because I don't have the issue and I can't see there being that much deviation in the sound of the 2012 motors. (if I'm making sense... )
Old 10-12-2012, 11:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by maverick17
Just curious... can you hear it (very pronounced) when the hood is closed? The reason I ask is I had heard one ticking loud enough to be annoying and the hood was closed. Conversely... I don't have the ticking sound (currently at 7500 miles) and I push mine to the limits at times (especially when getting onto the freeway).

So my point is... if you can hear it with the hood closed then the dealer is 'out to lunch' on their assessment and there is an issue because I don't have the issue and I can't see there being that much deviation in the sound of the 2012 motors. (if I'm making sense... )
yes you can here it with the hood shut its very pronounced and has grown in tone in the last few weeks i put my long breker bar on right side head and a little ticking travelling threw the block but once i put on left side it was loud as hell indicating that it is the driver side head.And when i kill the motor(shit off)2 seconds later there is this noise which sound like air that was compressed let go by a relief valve and is only on that side of the head .

The thing that piss's me off is that i knew about this before i got the jeep so from day one i kept an eye on it and that noise has grown and i noticed my mpg droped a little in the last bit also.I got the jeep in june 8th and was made on may 2nd so was made in the period for the penistar driver side head issues and they didnt even know about the issue the had to find out threw chrysler themself.

I think its time to get irate and call chrysler themself i dont like getting the runaround had issues with my 2007 ram 1500 4x4 and still have same issues that were never resolved no warranty now so.This is my first new only driven by me so i know every sound and keep very good care of my vehicles i drive them and very hard sometimes not abuse or ratbag especially a $45k jeep loll

ill post my results when i call chrysler on monday
Old 10-13-2012, 06:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wishithadahemi

yes you can here it with the hood shut its very pronounced and has grown in tone in the last few weeks i put my long breker bar on right side head and a little ticking travelling threw the block but once i put on left side it was loud as hell indicating that it is the driver side head.And when i kill the motor(shit off)2 seconds later there is this noise which sound like air that was compressed let go by a relief valve and is only on that side of the head .
I can hear my ticking when I'm in my garage, not really when its out in the open. so I was hopping it just was a typical motor noise. But I have been hearing the air noise like you described when I shut the motor off. Does this mean I have to call my dealer?
Old 10-13-2012, 12:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by calys003
I can hear my ticking when I'm in my garage, not really when its out in the open. so I was hopping it just was a typical motor noise. But I have been hearing the air noise like you described when I shut the motor off. Does this mean I have to call my dealer?
i dont know if its the way the intake is designed not sure i know my 5.7 ram does not do that nor did my old 4.7 ram ??.The tic on my motor u can hear it in a cold start without anything on in the morning!!.My ear is trained to that noise also.Just aggrovating to waste my and there time to just replace the head or heads whats taht cost to them maybe $1000

If it was legal to do this to the service manager
Click image for larger version

Name:	camel-clutch.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	377715
Old 10-13-2012, 04:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here's my 2012 rubi 3 inch mopar fox racing lift 35/12.50/17 km2s so far more mods to come!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2821246112.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	377808   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-244912360.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	377809  
Old 10-13-2012, 09:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

My Genright bumper is on!!!! I had to cutoff the vacuum pump bracket but its all good. It wasn't in the instructions but no biggie. Marcus at river city has been great, I would advise everyone if you to give him a shot. His prices are great and further more he is a great guy. Rear tire carrier is next but I cannot decide on which one I like? This winter I am gonna stock pile parts for my lift and reinforcing the front and rear axles. I'm shooting for a 2.5 rock krawler x-factor with nitro sleeves front and rear, 4:88s, 37 mtrs and I'm undecided on what winch and wheel I am going to run. I want to mount an air compressor under the hood. After all that stage is over currie anti rocks front and rear and full skids.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2355022057.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	377874  
Old 10-15-2012, 11:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by clemons
My Genright bumper is on!!!! I had to cutoff the vacuum pump bracket but its all good. It wasn't in the instructions but no biggie. Marcus at river city has been great, I would advise everyone if you to give him a shot. His prices are great and further more he is a great guy. Rear tire carrier is next but I cannot decide on which one I like? This winter I am gonna stock pile parts for my lift and reinforcing the front and rear axles. I'm shooting for a 2.5 rock krawler x-factor with nitro sleeves front and rear, 4:88s, 37 mtrs and I'm undecided on what winch and wheel I am going to run. I want to mount an air compressor under the hood. After all that stage is over currie anti rocks front and rear and full skids.
Keep me informed as to what air compressor you decide on. I've been looking at a couple of systems too but the engine compartment seems pretty compressed for space...

I just noticed... is that someone sitting in the passenger side of your rig or a reflection of you taking the pic?

Mean looking rig though... with those fenders and bumper.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by maverick17

Keep me informed as to what air compressor you decide on. I've been looking at a couple of systems too but the engine compartment seems pretty compressed for space...

I just noticed... is that someone sitting in the passenger side of your rig or a reflection of you taking the pic?

Mean looking rig though... with those fenders and bumper.
Will do, a friend of mine was in the passenger seat! I'm going to wait until I lift it before I find a place to mount one. Trying to find a rear bumper and tire carrier is pissing me off!!!
Old 10-16-2012, 11:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by clemons
Will do, a friend of mine was in the passenger seat! I'm going to wait until I lift it before I find a place to mount one. Trying to find a rear bumper and tire carrier is pissing me off!!!
My vote is the Olympic 4x4 Smuggler's Bumper (rear) with the rear winch mount. It allows the tire to swing out like a gate or downward so the tire can be set onto the ground. If a winch is installed it can be used for raising or lowering the tire... i know it sounds lazy but I figure if I get a 35" or larger tire... who wants to lift that up onto a tire mount?

Drawback is the bumper is like $1500... I'll be saving green stamps until I get the vehicle paid off... LOL
Old 10-16-2012, 12:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think I'm gonna do the genright rear bumper and or-fab tire carrier. I want a bumper that covers the welds under the rear quarter panel, slim, no fog light provisions, that can support d-rings that isn't very expensive but made well. I need to support a 37 inch tire, high lift mount and fits tight to the body. I cannot find what I want out of a pre built bumper/tire carrier combo. I'm still open to suggestions but I cannot find any

Quick Reply: Class of 2012