Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Class of 2012

Old 08-08-2012, 11:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Thread! I bought my JK on April 30th having a great ride, few off road trips, and handles beautifully! 7317KM (4546 miles)
Old 08-09-2012, 07:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Up to 1300 miles on my JK. Been a great experience so far!

Installed a LoD signature series mid width bumper and Engo with last weekend. Still have to wire the winch. Going to mount solenoid under the hood.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120809_224058.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	352252

Jeep is Crush 2dr. Picture makes it look kinda Dozer.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:00 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RedRockJeeper
Looks like season 5 warlock pvp helm in WOW.
Malefic, T6.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by arjeeper
Up to 1300 miles on my JK. Been a great experience so far!

Installed a LoD signature series mid width bumper and Engo with last weekend. Still have to wire the winch. Going to mount solenoid under the hood.

Attachment 352252

Jeep is Crush 2dr. Picture makes it look kinda Dozer.
Now I like that bumper. I've been shopping around for a good winch bumper that allowed the stock fog lamps to be reused... now I need to price that bumper out... hmmm???

When you said you were going to wire the solenoid under the hood... is that referring to the outlet where you plug the winch control into? I had a local JK owner tell me that the going fad now is to jumper the winch with a paperclip to control the cable and reel the cable out. Once out... they run the cable over the top of the Jeep and anchor it to the rear (bumper or axle?) and then using the paper clip they reel the cable back in etc... So I was told the best thing was to hook a switch and relay to control the winch power... so you'd have to activate the switch from inside the vehicle before the winch can be powered up.

Do you have a hood lock?
Old 08-09-2012, 08:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here's a shot of the hood lock that installed a while back for my JK... It was like $20. Works off the principle of latching the secondary hook and holding down the hood until you unlock it. Once unlocked the hood has the slack to allow access to release the secondary hook.

Click image for larger version

Name:	finished-billet-grill-front.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	352296
Old 08-10-2012, 03:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by maverick17

Now I like that bumper. I've been shopping around for a good winch bumper that allowed the stock fog lamps to be reused... now I need to price that bumper out... hmmm???

When you said you were going to wire the solenoid under the hood... is that referring to the outlet where you plug the winch control into? I had a local JK owner tell me that the going fad now is to jumper the winch with a paperclip to control the cable and reel the cable out. Once out... they run the cable over the top of the Jeep and anchor it to the rear (bumper or axle?) and then using the paper clip they reel the cable back in etc... So I was told the best thing was to hook a switch and relay to control the winch power... so you'd have to activate the switch from inside the vehicle before the winch can be powered up.

Do you have a hood lock?
Yes, the solenoid is the control box/switch. Since the winch will be rarely used (I'm not a hard core offroader but like to be prepared). It'll be safer in the engine bay. Didn't have much choice, though as it didn't fit above the winch with this bumper.

I don't have a hood lock. Might think about that.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, the solenoid is the control box/switch. Since the winch will be rarely used (I'm not a hard core offroader but like to be prepared). It'll be safer in the engine bay. Didn't have much choice, though as it didn't fit above the winch with this bumper.

I don't have a hood lock. Might think about that.
The hood lock is nice... since these rigs can be opened with the release of just two latches.

I hear the Boy Scout motto there... for me the shopping list still has:

Front Winch bumper & winch
On board air compressor and tank
Hi Lift Jack
Shovel
Lift (larger tires later)

And then I should be fairly prepared to get into trouble... GRIN
Old 08-10-2012, 07:26 AM
JK Super Freak

They stock vehicle rides so superbly, I'm going to attempt to avoid lift/larger tires. On all my jeeps, they've had some lift and it always makes for a crappier/louder ride. There are clear benefits, but they Rubicon is already a hell of a solid vehicle straight from there factory. (must keep telling myself this!)
Old 08-10-2012, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wendy.Jeepchick

How does your Rubi ride compare to your Sahara? My JKUR is much smoother stock that my JKUX was. I can actually feel the weight of the heavy duty suspension and axle. Did you notice that as well?
I honestly can't tell the difference between the ride between the Sahara and the Rubicon but the rubi was only at 1000 miles when the TF kit went on so there wasn't much time to notice.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:22 AM
JK Freak

They stock vehicle rides so superbly, I'm going to attempt to avoid lift/larger tires. On all my jeeps, they've had some lift and it always makes for a crappier/louder ride. There are clear benefits, but they Rubicon is already a hell of a solid vehicle straight from there factory. (must keep telling myself this!)
Mee too. My JKUR is by far the most solid Wrangler I've ever owned. Steering and ride are so tight and responsive...heavy duty. So, if I were to intentionally do something to it just so that I can be 3 inches higher and have slightly more clearance, it would just make me sick. But, it is so HARD to retrain myself not to feel left-out because I'm not higher.

Quick Reply: Class of 2012