Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Class of 2012

Old 08-02-2012, 09:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maverick17
I don't know what it is... but it seems a lot of Jeep owners are getting rock damage to their windshields. The first day I received mine I went to get onto the freeway and a rock bounced off the hood and hit the windshield but fortunate enough it didn't do any damage. But now with reading about various rock/windshield issues I wonder if the Jeep is a rock magnet for the first few days/week etc.
The angle of the windshield is what makes Wranglers prone to getting hit with rocks. The aerodynamics don't flow as well as other vehicles with more of an angle. The dealership warned me of this and also said insurance companies know of this. They usually take that into consideration with the coverages they have.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Also with the windshield angle, with a car where the angle is greater, if a rock bounces up into the windshield it usually just ricochets up and over the car. But with the flatter, less angled Wrangler, it hits the windshield more head on and doesn't skip off as easy.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:54 AM
JK Freak

Welcome to one of the joys of Jeep ownership! Cracked windshields are way too common. Every Jeep I have owned has a cracked windshield or 3, or 4 or...you get the picture. The worse part seems to be once it is cracked you will never see another rock until the day, week, or month following your replacement of the cracked windshield with a shiny clear new one. Then before you know it you hear that gut wrenching sound and look up and sure enough you have the crack attack once again.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:49 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by VolsJeep

I just want to make sure I understand what you're asking. You have the soft top up but you want to make it open over the front seats? Directions for the sunrider top:

1) unlatch the top from the two front loops above the windshield (as you would to take the top down)
2) Leave the side locks locked in (when taking the top down you pull the lever on both sides by the roll bar. For this you do not pull these levers)
3) From the inside of the vehicle, reach between the roll bar and the top and slide the locking slide forward towards the window (may take a little muscle to start. do on both sides)
4) Grab the front of the top and flip it back onto the top of the jeep.
5) Fold the loose top back and under the front bar that latches to the Jeep when top is fully on.

I know this may not be very good instructions, but you will figure it out. If it still isn't very clear, you can look on YouTube and search sunrider top for 2012 Wrangler. Your Jeep also should have come with an instructional video that would show you. Good luck
Thank. This is what I was looking for. I was missing your step #3, I guess that I should sit down and watch the dvd. Its not my first jeep so who knew you need to read ditection... I never read directions.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by kssting
Here is my 12 Rubi. I traded our 11 Sahara for it last week. Stayed with the same color and options. The soft top, wheels, and tires are from the 11. The Teraflex Rock sliders were added yesterday and the TF 2.5 kit with Bilsteins is going on Friday.
How does your Rubi ride compare to your Sahara? My JKUR is much smoother stock that my JKUX was. I can actually feel the weight of the heavy duty suspension and axle. Did you notice that as well?
Old 08-03-2012, 09:52 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BSFlyBoy
I guess I better chime in. I had a couple CJ-7's back in the eighties. Kids cam along and I had to have something bigger. Last one graduated and now I'm back! I think I grin every time I get behind the wheel and loving the top and fender matched on the rubi. Still trying to decide on tires wheels and bumpers, but installed the Banks intake which sounds awesome. Having a hard time finding places to get off road around KC though, used to be a lot of them but they seem to have been closed due to abuse. Glad to be back.
Welcome back home!
Old 08-03-2012, 09:55 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by clemons
Rock hit my windshield today and put a nice dime sized blur in it with a small crack. New windshield is scheduled to go in on Monday morning 320$ plus tax down the drain. I haven't even made my first payment yet :'(
That sucks, having to get a whole new windshield for one stupid rock.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Count me in on the windshield rash epidemic. Got a nice size chip directly in my FOV. Not a good week for the JK. My lab decided I needed some claw marks on the tailgate as well. Oh well, do chicks still dig scars?
Old 08-03-2012, 08:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bootscraper
Count me in on the windshield rash epidemic. Got a nice size chip directly in my FOV. Not a good week for the JK. My lab decided I needed some claw marks on the tailgate as well. Oh well, do chicks still dig scars?
Bootscraper, check out my decal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-58162175.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	349189
Old 08-04-2012, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nicely done sir. Gotta little twist a Cain on mine also.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120804_092511.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	349246

Quick Reply: Class of 2012