Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Chrysler to Recall Jeep Wrangler

Old 07-04-2007, 05:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrysler to Recall Jeep Wrangler

As reported in the Wall Street Journal online

Chrysler to Recall Jeep Wrangler,
Dodge Nitro Over Engine Stalls
By TERRY KOSDROSKY
July 3, 2007 2:12 p.m.

DETROIT -- Daimler Chrysler AG's Chrysler Group said Tuesday it will recall 80,894 Jeep Wrangler and Dodge Nitro vehicles from the 2007 model year to reprogram a power module after complaints surfaced of power loss to the engine.

The recall follows an investigation launched by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in late May after the agency received complaints of engine stalls on 2007 Jeep Wranglers at highway speeds.

The 2007 Jeep Wrangler is one of the hottest sellers in Chrysler's lineup and helped drive Jeep brand sales to a 10% year-over-year gain in June alone.

Chrysler said Tuesday that the recall will involve reprogramming the Totally Integrated Power Module "to eliminate the potential for a brief interruption of electrical power to the instrument cluster and the engine."

Notification of owners will begin later this week and the work will be done at no cost to owners.

Chrysler said the power interruption can result in a "momentary" engine stall, though the engine immediately and automatically restarts if the vehicle is in motion.

Chrysler said NHTSA has received about 180 complaints of engine stalling in Wrangler and Nitro vehicles, with one accident reported. No injuries were reported.

Write to Terry Kosdrosky at terry.kosdrosky@dowjones.com
Old 07-04-2007, 05:29 AM
JK Newbie

Location: Mountain View, CA & Incline Village, Lk. Tahoe, NV (summer house)

Safety Recall G25 Reprogram TIPM – Engine Stalling:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-tsb-re...ngine-stalling
Old 07-04-2007, 06:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Mine was built in Dec. 2006. I have 5400 miles and it hasn't done it yet. I believe in, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought. Thoughts?
Old 07-04-2007, 07:00 AM
JK Newbie

Location: Mountain View, CA & Incline Village, Lk. Tahoe, NV (summer house)

Mine is Mar. 07. If I were you, I would bring it in. It won't cost anything.

It's a recall... obviously there's a problem and needs to be fixed for safety.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:23 AM
JK Newbie

Mine was just built and is on a train somewhere being shipped to my dealer, I guess I will "assume nothing" and make sure they complete the recall before I drive off the lot with it?
Kelly
Old 07-04-2007, 02:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought ours off the dealer lot in Dec 06. Manufactured Nov 06. Had it 6 months now and it has never stalled.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine's never done it, but I'll bring it in when they call anyway. Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it won't when it matters the most.

Murphy is a relative of mine.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:20 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 07rube
Mine was built in Dec. 2006. I have 5400 miles and it hasn't done it yet. I believe in, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought. Thoughts?
I'm not positive, but I believe mine was built on 1/22 (the last date of manufacture covered under the recall unless something's changed). I've had it since Feb and with over 5K on the clock, haven't had a single mechanical issue... and I'm paranoid that if I bring it in and have the "flash" for the stall bug, it'll screw up something else...
Old 07-05-2007, 05:56 AM
JK Super Freak

I too am in the has not happened crowd with one I bought before the date listed in the recall so not sure when it was built but it falls in the recall for sure. I thought long and hard about it and while it has not happened in over 12,000 miles it could tommorow. If I know about the recall and do not take it in I lose all recourse if it does happen and causes a major issue (such as a wreck). As much as I worry about the flash causing other problems I think the best course of action is to take it in. I mean if it causes problems they have to fix them assuming they can and if it does not and something happens down the road I can say I did everything you asked me to.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:00 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dropped mine off at 7am today to have the recall "reflash" performed.

...we shall see...

Quick Reply: Chrysler to Recall Jeep Wrangler