Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Chrysler Hard Times

Old 03-14-2008, 03:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrysler Hard Times

"Increasingly, rumors have been swirling about whether Chrysler will be forced to sell off valuable assets if its fortunes don't turn around. A leading candidate would be Jeep, which is widely considered to have the most value among Chrysler brands."

Full Article:
http://www.latimes.com/classified/au...,7922187.story
Old 03-14-2008, 04:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am definately not the smartest guy... But doesn't it seem completely illogical to sell the most profitable part of your company if you are not doing well?? Yes I am sure it is a quick fix, but the long term effects would probably be a disater.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's an investment group the wanna make money real fast then get out... wish that 3500 incentive was for the 4dr wranglers.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:29 AM
JK Junkie

petenice15 got it right on the money (no pun intended)... selling off the most profitable part of the company is only good for short-term profit, not long-term strategic growth. I don't know who would be quick to snatch the Jeep brand (China? GM?), but I have a feeling it wouldn't bode well for us Jeepers.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:00 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by petenice15
I am definately not the smartest guy... But doesn't it seem completely illogical to sell the most profitable part of your company if you are not doing well?? Yes I am sure it is a quick fix, but the long term effects would probably be a disater.
I guess it depends on how hard of times they're facing. They might be willing to make somethng out of a sale of Jeep and then dump the rest and take the existing loss instead of a greater loss as times go by. They also get a certain benefit at tax time for the loss.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Henri
"Increasingly, rumors have been swirling about whether Chrysler will be forced to sell off valuable assets if its fortunes don't turn around. A leading candidate would be Jeep, which is widely considered to have the most value among Chrysler brands."

Full Article:
http://www.latimes.com/classified/au...,7922187.story
When I read the article on CNN about shutting down the first 2 weeks of July I thought "Yeah, so...?" I don't know if all Chrysler did that last year but didn't the Jeep plants shut down those two weeks to retool for the new model year? I pretty much expected they would again this year as well. Sounds to me like the financial pages are trying to make a big deal out of nothing.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Maybe Renault will buy it again !
Old 03-14-2008, 10:41 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by gordhunt
Keep thy forked tongue in thy mouth
Old 03-14-2008, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gordhunt
Bring back the Eagle!
Old 03-14-2008, 12:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Let's see, Willys, AMC, Chrysler.... Some of whom were owned by others in part or whole. Not sure there's much difference to what corporate entity has it, the brand is what counts. As long as it isn't being built in North Korea.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Chrysler Hard Times