Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Chirp noise fixxed, Manual trans problems

Old 10-10-2007, 07:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by katzny2000
just got mine back from the dealer for the chirp noise i had when releasing the clutch. and now....no chirp

they replaced the clutch release bearing and shims and seamed to have fixed my problem....be prepared to be w/o jeep for 1-5 days(5 days for me)

hope this helps

another note--- heard a squeak coming from passenger side when going over slight bumps.....dealer said cause was from "pan flexing on pass. floor tunnel" they repositioned the pan and no more squeak
Do you mean the throw out bearing? Was yours the chirp or was it the constant squeel ?

The floor noise would be a pop sound similar to the old oil cans (think wizard of oz). Let us know how it goes.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:28 PM
JK Newbie

yes, it was the throw out bearing, the dealer papers called it the clutch release bearing.. it was a chirp sound not a constant squeel
Old 10-12-2007, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by katzny2000
yes, it was the throw out bearing, the dealer papers called it the clutch release bearing.. it was a chirp sound not a constant squeel
I need to get mine in the shop to have it fixed. Mine is squeaking and squealing. My a/c fan is also making noise.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:56 PM
JK Super Freak

I have over 13k miles on mine, and just put in 5.13 gears (running 35's) and now I get the chirp sound when I shift into 2nd and 3rd gear with some load on the tranny. if i drive slow and steady no chirp, but if i'm gunning it, it chirps loud. I don't recall this happening when I had the 3.21's, but then again, I never could gun it then, haha... so I really don't think it's my gears, just the fact that i have more torque on everything now. I'm very afraid of jeep dealers touching my rig, how hard and how expensive is the throw out bearing to replace by yourself?
Old 10-13-2007, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ThinkMud
I have over 13k miles on mine, and just put in 5.13 gears (running 35's) and now I get the chirp sound when I shift into 2nd and 3rd gear with some load on the tranny. if i drive slow and steady no chirp, but if i'm gunning it, it chirps loud. I don't recall this happening when I had the 3.21's, but then again, I never could gun it then, haha... so I really don't think it's my gears, just the fact that i have more torque on everything now. I'm very afraid of jeep dealers touching my rig, how hard and how expensive is the throw out bearing to replace by yourself?
I think the book calls for 4.5 hours of labor. It is on the TSB. The hardest part is dropping the tranny I would think. Having th room to do the work and then putting it back in. Nothing is that hard if you have the room and the tools.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Omega Man
I think the book calls for 4.5 hours of labor. It is on the TSB. The hardest part is dropping the tranny I would think. Having th room to do the work and then putting it back in. Nothing is that hard if you have the room and the tools.
hmmm... doesn't sound like a fun job. I'm wondering how much BS I'll face trying to take a lifted, abused, re-geared JK in for a TSB now? I don't want to cause a scene, and I would hate to have to drive my rig through the showroom windows (when i loose my temper, crazier things have happened).
Old 10-15-2007, 01:35 PM
JK Newbie

Default reply

about the chirp noise, yea im sick and tired of that noise, i still have that chirp, and im at 14000. help me :(
Old 10-15-2007, 01:39 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 07wranglerx
about the chirp noise, yea im sick and tired of that noise, i still have that chirp, and im at 14000. help me :(
me too, my dealer called me (thats not a joke) and they told me they received a new clutch, now what makes this clutch different from the last i dunno but hey what the heck its free, so I will try it and get back to you guys, the last one I had changed stopped the chirp dead, for 3 weeks. why who knows they can't figure it out.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:00 AM
JK Freak

Rejoice?

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-tsb-re...on-clutch-disc
Old 11-06-2007, 05:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crossbones
me too, my dealer called me (thats not a joke) and they told me they received a new clutch, now what makes this clutch different from the last i dunno but hey what the heck its free, so I will try it and get back to you guys, the last one I had changed stopped the chirp dead, for 3 weeks. why who knows they can't figure it out.
they finally replaced my clutch with a revised part # for the clutch ....they told me that the old clutch springs were causing a chirping and squeaking noise. it must be a new tsb

Quick Reply: Chirp noise fixxed, Manual trans problems