Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Chirp noise fixxed, Manual trans problems

Old 10-09-2007, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is pretty much what I am saying. I wonder how many are hearing the intake and think it is the trans.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:53 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Omega Man
My chirp is still there as well. It is not an air box issue since mine is stock. I am starting to think more and more it is a motor or trans mount. It might not be a clutch issue but it is definitely a torque issue. When the drive train is placed under load (16-2300 RPM) in 2nd and 3rd gear will make it squeak when letting out the clutch.

I do not think that it is a clutch issue because if you put it in 2nd or 3rd and coast around 1800 rpm and then hit the gas it will do it. The clutch is not engaged at this time but the noise is still there.

Has anyone looked at the possibilities of the trans or engine mounts making this noise?
I am thinking that Omega man may be onto something. Trans or engine mounts seems like a strong possibility in my case. Definitly not a hiss, whistle or squeel. I will stick with "chirp" as the description. Anyhow, I have a feeling I am going to have to learn to love my chirp and embrace it as just part of the JEEP THANG...

DKH
Old 10-10-2007, 03:47 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dkhauver
I am thinking that Omega man may be onto something. Trans or engine mounts seems like a strong possibility in my case. Definitly not a hiss, whistle or squeel. I will stick with "chirp" as the description. Anyhow, I have a feeling I am going to have to learn to love my chirp and embrace it as just part of the JEEP THANG...

DKH
X-3 me too
Old 10-10-2007, 09:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dkhauver

DKH
Originally Posted by crossbones
X-3 me too
It sounds like rubbing 2 pieces of Styrofoam together.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:46 AM
JK Freak

What I don't understand is there seems to be so many of us with this problem and no one seems to have a solid fix or even found the actual problem, why? is there no fix... or they just don't care...
Old 10-10-2007, 09:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have over 18,000 miles on mine, it has done it since it was new and still does it, only it's not quite as loud as it was. There was another thread on this once where a Jeep tech had a guy shut his Jeep off and leave it in gear, while the tech got out and rocked the Jeep forwards and backwards. It squeeked as it rocked back and forth and the tech said it was the way the driveshafts are constructed with rubber. I don't think that Jeep will ever own up to it and come out with a fix since it is not a safety issue or a faulty part issue (just irritating).
Jim
Old 10-10-2007, 10:01 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jameswharton
I have over 18,000 miles on mine, it has done it since it was new and still does it, only it's not quite as loud as it was. There was another thread on this once where a Jeep tech had a guy shut his Jeep off and leave it in gear, while the tech got out and rocked the Jeep forwards and backwards. It squeeked as it rocked back and forth and the tech said it was the way the driveshafts are constructed with rubber. I don't think that Jeep will ever own up to it and come out with a fix since it is not a safety issue or a faulty part issue (just irritating).
Jim
So would new driveshafts fix the problem?
Old 10-10-2007, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Crossbones....That is what I was wandering. If someone here had the chirp and switched driveshafts and it went away, I hoped they would chime in......ANYBODY????
Jim
Old 10-10-2007, 11:36 AM
JK Newbie

just got mine back from the dealer for the chirp noise i had when releasing the clutch. and now....no chirp

they replaced the clutch release bearing and shims and seamed to have fixed my problem....be prepared to be w/o jeep for 1-5 days(5 days for me)

hope this helps

another note--- heard a squeak coming from passenger side when going over slight bumps.....dealer said cause was from "pan flexing on pass. floor tunnel" they repositioned the pan and no more squeak
Old 10-10-2007, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

katz.....I hope it fixes it long term. There has been guys who had the same repair and the squeek went away and then came back after a few miles.
Jim

Quick Reply: Chirp noise fixxed, Manual trans problems