Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Chirp noise fixxed, Manual trans problems

Old 09-16-2007, 05:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chirp noise fixxed, Manual trans problems

I had my Jeep in the shop for a week trying to get rid of this squeak, chirp. I had the throw out bearing replaced, no fix. then the entire clutch and p-plate replaced, no fix. The entire running gear checked, no dice. Finally, they called me and told me that they had fixxed the problem. When i showed up, they had me take it for a ride. The noise was gone! I asked them what they did and they told me that they threw a rag over the filter on my cold air intake. I almost Sh$t my pants. Apparently, there is so much air being drawn in under load that it produces the squeal, chirp noise. This is just what I found out, may not be the cause of your problem but something to look at.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:56 PM
JK Freak

the squeal that you're referring to with your problem is a "feature" of having a cold air intake. throwing the rag over the intake defeats the purpose of having a CAI - ie, you're just limiting the air flow that you spent $200+ to open up.

the "chirp" that you read about in these forums is something completely different, that in my particular case, disappeared after the clutch/plate got a bit more worn in. that's the manual transmission chirp one would experience when coming off the clutch and getting back on the gas during a shift.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:45 AM
JK Newbie

Default hey superboo

I am experience the clutch chirp now. Are you saying that it will go away with time? I have about 4000 miles on my 4dr unlimited rubi.

dkhauver
Old 09-23-2007, 04:43 PM
JK Freak

i'm at about 9300 miles right now - no chirping since somewhere around 5-6000 miles. i haven't done any maintenance/repairs other than change the oil/filter and rotate the tires. i believe your chirp will disappear once everything wears in.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:03 PM
JK Newbie

Default chirp squeek whatever...

My chirp is bugging me. I don't know if it is the clutch. I seems like it can happen while giving is gas or coming off the gas. Or maybe a not sooo smooth shift. Anyone think it could be suspension issues? Help!

DKH
Old 10-09-2007, 12:52 AM
JK Freak

my chirp is still going strong!!! 18000km
Old 10-09-2007, 01:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Chirp may not be the best description of the phenomenon. It's more like a slight birdsong or whistling or chirping. I experience it every now and then, while shifting into neutral at around 1800rpm.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

My JK is all stock with stock airbox and I hear this chirp (more like a whistle) definately coming from air box under certain load if I give it a little more or less gas it goes away. I don't think there is anything that can be done to make it stop. More like a design flaw.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crossbones
my chirp is still going strong!!! 18000km
My chirp is still there as well. It is not an air box issue since mine is stock. I am starting to think more and more it is a motor or trans mount. It might not be a clutch issue but it is definitely a torque issue. When the drive train is placed under load (16-2300 RPM) in 2nd and 3rd gear will make it squeak when letting out the clutch.

I do not think that it is a clutch issue because if you put it in 2nd or 3rd and coast around 1800 rpm and then hit the gas it will do it. The clutch is not engaged at this time but the noise is still there.

Has anyone looked at the possibilities of the trans or engine mounts making this noise?
Old 10-09-2007, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Some of you are mistaking the 'hiss' sound of the intake from the transmission chirp you experience when coming off the clutch and getting back on the gas during shifts. They are two TOTALLY different things.

Quick Reply: Chirp noise fixxed, Manual trans problems