Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Cherokee opinion please

Old 02-05-2013, 04:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, should have been more clear, Grand of course. I've known many guys wheeling the o'l Cherokee. I guess I've been trying to talk myself into one lately, telling myself it has some real jeep blood and potential to be a somewhat capable machine.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jkgeneral
Sorry, should have been more clear, Grand of course. I've known many guys wheeling the o'l Cherokee. I guess I've been trying to talk myself into one lately, telling myself it has some real jeep blood and potential to be a somewhat capable machine.
The ZJ and WJ are as capable stock vs stock to a JK unlimited. (With similar tires)

The JKU has a slightly longer wheel base and worse breakover angle.

I've owned a ZJ, WJ, and now the JKU.

FYI, no ZJ had a model year of '93 as mentioned above.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a big fan of the latest gen J-GC's. They share the a lot of hardware with the Mercedes ML's.

I read somewhere (I thought here on this site), that someone involved with GC production said that they could lighten the vehicle significantly, but it would take away from its off-road worthiness. That's third person info at this point.. but it was something to that effect.

My opinion, the GC's shine up to the point of needing to crawl over obstacles where articulation would be beneficial. At that point the Wranglers take over. The IFS should shine on most terrain up to that point.

Youtube has some fun videos of people putting these latest gen GC's through their paces. Saw one sunk in mud well up the side of the door. The guy said no water got in... which I think shows that Jeep is still serious about it's off-road intentions.

Quick Reply: Cherokee opinion please