Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Check the Status of your Jeep JK Wrangler - Order Status Codes

Old 11-21-2007, 09:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TEEJ
Same boat...ordered the dual top option....and its been BX forever, since 9/07....now its BG. :(

So, the hard top parts are holding everything up?
There is a shortage in hard tops and they have halted all production of unlimited hard tops.

This is supposed to be until the middle to end of December.

My order went in September 12 for my Sahara and was told 4-6 weeks. I know this is an estimate and dealers have no control over this, but don't you think we as a consumer should have some consideration from Chrysler for these delays.

Has anybody tried to get anything from Chrysler?
Old 11-21-2007, 12:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Damn

Its the Unlimited JK I ordered....

:(

So, if you want an unlimited with a hard top, you're lookinga at another month?

I wonder if they can deliver it with the soft top, and then let me swing by the stealership when the Hardtop finally arrives?
Old 11-21-2007, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well, I just got off the phone with DC... and I am in D-1, finally. Also, my C-Rep wasn't aware of any restrictions, so we'll see how it goes...
Old 11-21-2007, 04:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 08UnlimitedSahara810
There is a shortage in hard tops and they have halted all production of unlimited hard tops.

This is supposed to be until the middle to end of December.

My order went in September 12 for my Sahara and was told 4-6 weeks. I know this is an estimate and dealers have no control over this, but don't you think we as a consumer should have some consideration from Chrysler for these delays.

Has anybody tried to get anything from Chrysler?
I was speaking to a few folks at the Tech Center last week - apparently Nardelli has instituted a "kangaroo court" that deals with hot issues - like leaking JK Hardtops. The platform engineer is given 15 minutes to present the problem, takes 15 minutes of questions, and then is handed a verdict on what to do. I happen to know one of the managers who sits in on the court, so I heard some very interesting tid-bits.

Apparently, early last week the JK Hardtop issue was in court. After all of about 2 minutes, Nardelli stopped the engineer and asked "So we have a 1.5 year old vehicle and the top STILL leaks? Can't this be fixed with a thicker gasket?"

The engineer replied "Yes, but it cos..."

Nardelli cut the engineer off and said effectively "DO IT, GET IT DONE!!! This is the kind of issue that kills our reputation for quality! If it costs $10 more per vehicle to fix it, do it. It costs a lot more than $10 per vehicle for the quality hit!"

Yes, my opinion of Nardelli just went up a LOT. =)

I'd guess that might be why the hard top delay is taking place...

Uncle Miltie
Old 11-21-2007, 05:20 PM
JK Newbie

I ordered a Redrock Rubicon Unlimited with every option except the block heater (I'm in Naples Fl.) Aug 13,2007...I went in to the DEalership today, and my salesman tells me its in BG status and they dont know what the hold up is. They ordered it on an allocation that they had ...If what I've read on these posts is true and it might take 8 months total to get a Rubicon I'll probably order a 2009 next year...
Old 11-21-2007, 05:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Uncle Miltie
I was speaking to a few folks at the Tech Center last week - apparently Nardelli has instituted a "kangaroo court" that deals with hot issues - like leaking JK Hardtops. The platform engineer is given 15 minutes to present the problem, takes 15 minutes of questions, and then is handed a verdict on what to do. I happen to know one of the managers who sits in on the court, so I heard some very interesting tid-bits.

Apparently, early last week the JK Hardtop issue was in court. After all of about 2 minutes, Nardelli stopped the engineer and asked "So we have a 1.5 year old vehicle and the top STILL leaks? Can't this be fixed with a thicker gasket?"

The engineer replied "Yes, but it cos..."

Nardelli cut the engineer off and said effectively "DO IT, GET IT DONE!!! This is the kind of issue that kills our reputation for quality! If it costs $10 more per vehicle to fix it, do it. It costs a lot more than $10 per vehicle for the quality hit!"

Yes, my opinion of Nardelli just went up a LOT. =)

I'd guess that might be why the hard top delay is taking place...

Uncle Miltie
Do you know what the turn around time on a "fix" could be? I had heard middle to end of December, but if they are re-engineering the part couldn't it take longer?
Old 11-21-2007, 11:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone keeps talking about hard top shortages and holds on production due to hardtop redesigns but Unlimiteds keep rolling off the assembly line with hard tops. Quite a few people who have ordered Rubicon unlimiteds have been told their Jeep is now KZ status as of this past week.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by davidwm71
Everyone keeps talking about hard top shortages and holds on production due to hardtop redesigns but Unlimiteds keep rolling off the assembly line with hard tops. Quite a few people who have ordered Rubicon unlimiteds have been told their Jeep is now KZ status as of this past week.
The latest Production News doesn’t indicate any problems with the Hard Top.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:26 AM
JK Newbie

Do you know what the turn around time on a "fix" could be? I had heard middle to end of December, but if they are re-engineering the part couldn't it take longer?

From what I heard, the December timeframe might be correct. I don't have anywhere near all the details, but it sounded like it was replacing the gasket material with a thicker version - apparently the new material is available off the shelf. If that's the case, it could be a quick and simple change - 4-6 weeks.

What usually takes the additional time (vs NOW) is the stock of parts in the supply chain. The seals are probably a tier-2 or -3 part, depending on how the assembly is done. If it's Tier-2, they will have to first be PPAP'ed (Production Part Approval Process) at the tier-2, then the same process repeated for the change at the Tier-1 before they make it to TNAP (Toledo North Assembly Plant - also know as Stickney Ave). Plus there are the mandatory documentation requirements for the supply chain, the internal Chrysler change order (CO), the Interim Approval Authorization (IAA) and a lot of other meaningless paperwork that is required to make simple changes. (yes, the auto industry has WAY TOO MUCH paperwork...)

I forgot to ask if there was going to be a TSB about it or a recall. It's probably too early to get info on either item, and I'm not sure my friend would have that info in any case. I would guess that there likely would be a new TSB for it and dealers would replace it on an as-needed basis, not a recall.

In any case, I'm going to be paying attention to the top on mine tomorrow. Of course we had snow last night, so I' don't see me taking the panels off for a while...

Best Regards,

Uncle Miltie
Old 11-22-2007, 06:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Uncle Miltie
From what I heard, the December timeframe might be correct. I don't have anywhere near all the details, but it sounded like it was replacing the gasket material with a thicker version - apparently the new material is available off the shelf. If that's the case, it could be a quick and simple change - 4-6 weeks.

What usually takes the additional time (vs NOW) is the stock of parts in the supply chain. The seals are probably a tier-2 or -3 part, depending on how the assembly is done. If it's Tier-2, they will have to first be PPAP'ed (Production Part Approval Process) at the tier-2, then the same process repeated for the change at the Tier-1 before they make it to TNAP (Toledo North Assembly Plant - also know as Stickney Ave). Plus there are the mandatory documentation requirements for the supply chain, the internal Chrysler change order (CO), the Interim Approval Authorization (IAA) and a lot of other meaningless paperwork that is required to make simple changes. (yes, the auto industry has WAY TOO MUCH paperwork...)

I forgot to ask if there was going to be a TSB about it or a recall. It's probably too early to get info on either item, and I'm not sure my friend would have that info in any case. I would guess that there likely would be a new TSB for it and dealers would replace it on an as-needed basis, not a recall.

In any case, I'm going to be paying attention to the top on mine tomorrow. Of course we had snow last night, so I' don't see me taking the panels off for a while...

Best Regards,

Uncle Miltie
I went and drove one yesterday to see if I could takl myself into an automaic. When I opened the door the center console was filled with water from the hard top leaking.

I guess in a way I would rather wait a few extra weeks and get one that doesn't leak.

Quick Reply: Check the Status of your Jeep JK Wrangler - Order Status Codes