Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Check the Status of your Jeep JK Wrangler - Order Status Codes

Old 10-22-2007, 03:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Perzuki
"Hey, Jeff? This is Cash, down at Dewy-Cheatem-Anhow . . . you know that Jeep you wanted? I think we'll have it on our lot next week! Yep, I pulled some strings, and another buyer made some changes so we had to resubmit HIS order and, well anyway, looks like we'll have your Jeep here before you know it!

"Now, you WERE willing to go $1500 over list, right? Right - great! I'll call you the minute it gets here - should be just a couple of weeks!"
Wrong. In that scenario, when the original purchaser calls Customer Service for a status update using his VON that is specific for each individual order, he would be told that the order was cancelled. If they didn't cancel the order, and just tried to sell it out from under him to someone else, both customers would be clearly aware:

1 - the new buyer would read the MSRP window sticker that says "This Jeep was made specifically for 'John Smith', not you"

2 - the person who ordered the JK would know that the JK was built, he'd have the VIN, and he'd know when it was shipped to the dealer.

3 - should the dealer then deceive him and sell the vehicle to someone else, the person who ordered it could easily confirm it by performing a VIN check, and then sue the dealer for breach of contract, for which part of the damages would be a monetary value of the time he has to wait to get another JK. This would also be a press-worthy story, and he'd be sure to receive negative publicity. Not to mention Chrysler sanctions.

This most certainly is not a common industry occurrence. In all my years of using the Dealer Direct system, I still can't imagine how, specifically, you'd achieve switching a customer's order without him being aware, something you say is common practice. Please enlighten me.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:11 PM
JK Newbie

"This most certainly is not a common industry occurrence. In all my years of using the Dealer Direct system, I still can't imagine how, specifically, you'd achieve switching a customer's order without him being aware, something you say is common practice. Please enlighten me."

First, I have never said it was common practice. I said "it could happen." In fact, my own dealer is someone who (I believe) would never employ such a tactic.

Second, this is what you wrote in your recent post:

"Yes, they now have two Sold units in the system, and those two orders will receive priority build status ahead of the Dealer Inventory orders that they have in the system. So, the first order may indeed be received by the dealer, and would be available for sale, prior to the second order. They never would hav ebeen in the position to do this if you hadn't wanted to change your order."

Seems to me that, under your scenario, the dealer now has an extra Jeep for sale . . . to suggest that no dealer anywhere would manipulate such an opportunity doesn't begin to explain the six-month wait experienced by some here . . . even as others are taking delivery within 45 days.

Third . . . well, I'm not going to spend a lot of time "enlightening" someone who has a corncob of condescension wedged firmly into their locked differential. You're "right" . . . every time . . . because you KNOW you are.

So carry on, Chief.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Third . . . well, I'm not going to spend a lot of time "enlightening" someone who has a corncob of condescension wedged firmly into their locked differential. You're "right" . . . every time . . . because you KNOW you are.

So carry on, Chief.
So what is your source of knowledge? Ghostship has proven that the knowledge he gives us is accurate by being true.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Just to add... My dealer has indicated that many dealers are putting in SOLD orders to get vehicles in inventory. I have been through a few lots and seen numerous cars with "Built espicially for..." on the sticker.

My understanding is that the SOLD units are put ahead of the sotck units. Doing this just screws up the integrity of the process.

I JUST WANT MY JEEP!
Old 10-22-2007, 06:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by inajeep
So what is your source of knowledge? Ghostship has proven that the knowledge he gives us is accurate by being true.
The only knowledge I bring to this list is my own experience with various dealers of various makes. That experience has led me to suspect that some dealers are not above using tricks to maximize profit.

Refer to Post #2620 (above).

I'm personally fortunate to have purchased my Jeep from a dealer who does not employ such tactics.

Certainly, the knowledge that "Ghostship" gives us should be read and appreciated.

But condescending, BS requests for "enlightenment" are only the petulant scribblings of a spoiled child, an egomaniac or both - and may be rightly ignored.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only knowledge I bring to this list is my own experience with various dealers of various makes. That experience has led me to suspect that some dealers are not above using tricks to maximize profit.

Refer to Post #2620 (above).

I'm personally fortunate to have purchased my Jeep from a dealer who does not employ such tactics.

Certainly, the knowledge that "Ghostship" gives us should be read and appreciated.

But condescending, BS requests for "enlightenment" are only the petulant scribblings of a spoiled child, an egomaniac or both - and may be rightly ignored.
seems to me, since Ghostship took the time to explain why he feels this is not how the system is monkeyed with, and you told him he was wrong, it is perfectly reasonable to ask for your CV.
Ghostship's prior posts have shown him to be a reliable, and credible source of information, a track record that, frankly, at this point you do not possess. If you do know something, or can explain how Ghostship is wrong, please enlighten us with your explaination, not just a hypothetical scenario, and a barrage of insults.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Again, his information has proved accurate so it would not be beneficial to anyone to ignore. However, that is your choice. To tell you the truth you sound as condescending as you claim he is being. His tone doesn't bother me as it's straight to the point and doesn't resort to the typical name calling found so often in forums.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:23 AM
JK Newbie

One of my primary interests in this thread was to find out how long I might have to wait for my new Jeep. I was taken aback when I read that some members here have had to wait 6 - 8 months for their orders to be delivered. I know that Jeep sales are strong . . . but wait times like that seem wrong in what is a generally soft auto market.

"Ghostship" has done an admirable job of defending the manufacturer and its dealer network. But I'm still waiting for someone to explain why so many here have been asked to wait for so long for their Jeep, while others receive THEIRS in 45 days, and while the very Jeep they are looking for may in fact be sitting on some other dealer's lot less than 200 miles away!

Many Jeep customers on this thread are struggling with the question. Accusations of dealer manipulation are either (a) a knee-jerk, uninformed reaction, or (b) given the lack of any info from the manufacturer, the ONLY explanation.

It depends on which end of the pipeline you're sitting on, I suppose.

But I think the customers deserve a straight answer. Hell, if someone with authority told me "You can get a 2-door Sahara in 2 months, but the current waiting time for a Rubicon 4-door is 8 months - it's all a supply-and-demand thing" . . .

. . . well, that would be much appreciated, as it would influence my decision on what to buy - and whether to buy. But that's not what's happening. Instead, customers are ordering their new Jeep. . . then, SOME of them are put off for months . . . . while others take delivery in weeks!

Absent any explanation from the manufacturer, we're left with "dealer manipulation" as one - perhaps the only - alternative answer to our frustration. Not so unreasonable.

Take care.

Last edited by Perzuki; 10-23-2007 at 05:38 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ghostship
Here's a re-post from a while back that explains the order and build process, hope it helps:

::::::

'Allocation' is defined as 'the number of vehicles DCX will allow a particular Dealership to order/receive based on that Dealership's previous years sales numbers.' Thus, Dealerships with a higher sales volume last year will get to order more vehicles this year. The concept is simple, Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge wants to sell as many vehicles as they can, so rather than sending units to a low-sales dealership where they'll just sit on the lot for months, they send them to Dealerships whose track record proves they will be able to sell them quickly.

To understand how Allocation effects your order, we should revue the Order Process of your Jeep. First, when your vehicle is ordered by the Dealership, it gets entered into the Dealer Direct computer system and is assigned BA status (Ordered). As a Sold Customer Order, this will receive a preferential build priority above the other Dealer's orders for their inventory. The Assembly Plant takes over the process from here.

The plant will edit the order for errors, then assign it BG status (passed edit- not available for schedule). It will then move back and forth between BG and BX status (passed edit - available for schedule) until it is picked for Build Out. How it does/does not get picked is a detailed process.

For any given month, DCX needs to determine how many vehicles the Wrangler Plant needs to produce, within the given constraints. Those constraints are: the speed of the assembly line, UAW work agreements, worldwide sales quotas for each of the different model configurations, parts availability, dealer sold orders, dealer inventory orders, etc.

So this shakes out like this:
Reduced Line Speed at 50% of Capacity (30 units per hour instead of the normal 60), UAW contract only allowing 9hours/day, 6 day a week, 2 shifts/week; high demand for 4Door vs 2Door models, Hard Top issues, Rubicon parts availability issues, MyGig issues, etc. This amounts to 583 JK's a day, ~3500/week, ~14000/month.

Those 14000 JK's are comprised of (some numbers are estimations): 4x2(1000), 2Door X(1850), 4Door X(6550), 2Door Sahara(712), 4Door Sahara(2520), 2Door Rubicon (303), 4Door Rubicon(1065). Each of those individual totals are further broken down into Options such as Soft Top/Hard Top/Dual Top/Full Door/Half Door/Colors, etc. Then the Dealer Orders are broken down by a ratio of Sold Units to Dealer Inventory Units, and Location (State/Region). Predefining build quotas in this way prevents DCX from making 84,000 White 4Door 4x2 Soft Top JK's per year, with the other 84,000 being Lime Green Sahara 2 Doors, and shipping them all to Alaska.

So, for each month the Assembly Plant's production schedule has available slots to fill, the numbers of which are more or less limited to the above quotas. To fill those slots, the Assembly Plant looks to the Dealer Direct order system and selects orders at least one month out. When all slots have been filled for the next month's production run, it's termed 'Build Out'. The Order Status codes then get changed to reflect the intended schedule, complete with VIN #'s, estimated Day of Production, Estimated Day of Shipping, etc.

So how does your Order get picked for one of the slots? Let's say you've ordered a Rescue Green 2Door X with Dual Tops. Your order will move from BG to BX status, and compete for selection against the other orders in the system. Understand that out of the 14,000 slots being filled, there may only be room on the schedule for 3 Rescue Green 2Door X's with Dual Tops for your whole State that month. The oldest Sold Orders get considered first. Let's say there were two older than yours that get picked, and you're now being considered for the last slot.

Now there is a check for Parts Availability for your particular order. If the Hard Top supplier hasn't been able to keep up with demand, for instance, you won't pass the check. The selection process stops right there for you, your Status Code goes to BGL (passed edit - parts unavailable), and someone else's order fills that slot. When the parts become available, you go back to BG/BX status and compete for the next month's Build Out.

Let's say you're lucky enough to pass edit and all parts are available, your status moves to C (sub firm). Now is the point of the Order Process where Dealer Allocation becomes important. The System determines whether or not your dealer has Allocations available for that month. If they do, then you go to D status (firm schedule - dealer has allocation and all parts available) and you're on your way. On the other hand, if your dealer didn't have allocations available that month, you go back to BG/BX status and compete for the next month's Build Out.

It is possible to be picked up for a Build in the middle of the month. Let's say you've ordered a Soft Top, and there is a sudden shortage of Hard Tops. They don't shut the line down waiting for the parts supplier to get their act together. Instead, they grab Soft Top orders to fill in the spaces until the Hard Top orders can resume their place in line. In this example, some future JK owners will be surprised to find out that their Jeeps are getting built quicker than expected, while others will be disappointed to learn that their estimated Production Date has been postponed.

Another thing to consider is that DCX is receiving an average of 1000+ orders per day, while only able to build 583 per day (current orders outstanding are 49,972). So the number of orders you are competing against for Build Out can be significant, especially if you've ordered a Rubicon with Hard Top (current Rubicon Orders outstanding total 11,870 with a daily build of only 57).

So, the age-old question "why is my JK taking so long to be built" is not an easy answer. It's always a combination of things, and will certainly try your patience. Calling Customer Service and/or your Dealer can be an exercise in futility, because they aren't the one's producing your JK. The Assembly Plant does not answer to Customer Service, the Dealerships, or us the Customers. It is a privilege that we are allowed a window into their world, by being able to track the build status in real time. That is all Customer Service and the Dealer can do...they check the Dealer Direct system to view the Build Status Code. Their ability to 'do something' ends there (except for the dealer being able to alter your order to remove an option that was holding it up, such as Hard Top or MyGig). They are not in the position to demand that a particular vehicle gets built at a particular time, and neither are we.

At least now we'll have a better idea of what's happening behind the scenes while we wait.

:::::::

So we're here waiting for our Jeeps to be built. We call either the Chrysler Customer Service # or our Dealer periodically to check on the Order Status. They'll give us the current Build Code, and we know what part of the process we're in.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Perzuki: This is a huge thread and no one really expects everyone to read the entire thing so from time to time the info above has to be repeated. I hope this helps because it did for me. After I found this site and read some of this thread I was worried as hell. It's a tremendously complicated system with tons of variables. The question you have is common. In order to understand the answer the system is sort of explained. As with most things that are complicated there is no simple or single reason as to why there might be a delay. The last big delay was the myGig. However, Rubicons as mentioned above are over ordered and under made. The reason, they have one line and can only produce a finite amount of jeeps per day. When I ordered my jeep the dealer told me that the hold on orders was just lifted. I got lucky. People who ordered a Jeep w/ myGig before me just sat on hold until myGigs were restocked. Even if they opened up a 2nd factory line you would still have delays due to stock or even that strike that was avoided could have effected parts.

The normal advice that I got was that if you have to have a specific set of options and you don't find it anywhere, order it. However, depending on the configuration you might need to wait.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Angry

These are very informative and good points to make.

There are still a few other variables in the equation.

The dealers do work off of an allocation based on previous months/ years of sales. So in fact a dealer that sold 300 Wranglers last year would be allocated more than a dealer that sold 50 Wranglers last year. The question then becomes do you go to the 300 or 50 vehicle store. I would think that you may have better luck in the 50 vehicle store due to a lesser demand. The 300 store may have more orders filled.

With that said, the 50 vehicle store may want to increase their market share and play with "sold" orders more than the 300 vehicle store. If they can squeeze out a few more units then the next allocation phase may give them more allocation of a hot product.

The other issue is that this is simple supply and demand until you add in the greed factor. Dealers know that you have ordered a vehicle from them and probably hae not done this with other dealerships. They have you in a corner. If they quote you 6-8 weeks for delivery and then at 6 weeks they tell you it will be another 4 or 5 weeks, what are you going to do? Chances are you are just simply waiting while the dealership is receiving stock units and delivering them to fresh meat.

I am in the situation now where I placed my order September 12 and am still in a BG status. My 6-8 weeks for delivery is a total fallacy. I get on the locate on jeep.com and see the exact JK that I want sitting out there and the dealer won't try to get it. TOTAL BS.

In the end of all of this, it is us the consumer that it utimately affectd by this. The dealer will sell every unit that they can get and they know that when ours arives, it will be delivered. A sold order is a bonus unit for a dealer and their monthly number of sold vehicles.

I spent 7 years in the dealerships and know how the game works. It was easy, fun and lucritive when I was on that end, but quite frankly sucks when I am on this end. I guess that is just Karma.

Quick Reply: Check the Status of your Jeep JK Wrangler - Order Status Codes