Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Cheapest ways to make a loud jeep

Old 03-13-2012, 05:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't do it..... If you want loud get some really aggressive mud tires, that's the only loud that is acceptable coming from a Jeep.. Unless your one of those lucky hemi guys.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:59 AM
JK Freak

If you do not want to cut it off, you can drill a couple holes in the muffler. Drill a few and see how it sounds and if you want it louder, just drill a few more. It will be loud, but it will sound horrible.

Unlike the other comments you have received, I love a nice loud anything. My Harley, Jeep, and all other vehicles I have owned have had aftermarket exhaust systems. However, I spend the money on nice systems to make sure it sounds good, not just loud.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Trust me on this one after one long jeep ride you get bored of it fast
Old 03-13-2012, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Really I think you just want to draw attention to yourself.. Just take off the top + doors and some of those girls you've been looking at will want to ride in the Jeep. When they do, be respectful and dont drive crazy because you'll scare them away. Good luck
Old 03-13-2012, 06:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tonka_yellow
Trust me on this one after one long jeep ride you get bored of it fast
I have an old, large V8 powered SUV with dual exhaust and after having driven across country with it and then three times made the trip between Northern Michigan and Kentucky I can say I'm done with LOUD exhaust. Nice burble or a quiet roar on acceleration and that's it.

At 16 I wanted a LOUD exhaust.
At 21 I had a Flowmaster 40 series behind a 350.
At 26 I had a Magnaflow behind a V6.
Late 20's a variety of Cherry Bombs and others behind 4cyls and V8's.
Then my current setup.

Now at 33? I spent $400 fixing the PO's hacked exhaust work on my DD and returned it to bone stock with new parts. If/when I get a Jeep I MIGHT throw something like a Gibson or Borla on it. I just can't stand the loud drone any more. So much nicer on road trips when wind noise is all you have to deal with.

I've also got hearing damage from my teenage years and early 20's. Gunfire, loud exhausts, rock and roll at thunderous volumes, working on airfields and around aircraft without hearing protection, being in the Marines, and lord knows how many other things I did that didn't seem like a big issue at the time. Now I'm 33 and always having to ask my girlfriend and other soft spoken people to repeat themselves as my broken-ass ears can't hear them clearly.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by goncalo
I wish I had a jk when I was 16.
I heard that. I had a fifty dollar 63 Ford Comet at the time. It was loud because the muffler was rusted off. And snow would come in through the floorboards. Had a suicide knob on the steering wheel to hold it since only one front brake worked. It would still do 70 though, had lots of fun and somehow survived.

But ya I remember 16. As others said, just take the muffler off if you want noise. That way, when you get a fix it ticket or get tired of it, you can just stick it back on. I don't really think there is an exhaust out there that will make the 3.8 sound like a V-8, and without other mods I don't see a performance gain.

The noise of mine is not real noticable at highway speeds, given the wind and tire noise the JK generates anyway. However, on a quiet night cruise through town, the rumble has set off car alarms a couple times if it echos off buildings just right. I could live without that attention at my age.

Apart from not wanting the exhaust noise very much, I understand the OP because (according to my wife) I am still a teenager, at 54

Enjoy your youth but keep it between the ditches.

Last edited by Yankee; 03-13-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheapest way to get a loud exhaust, trade the jeep in for a mid 90's civic with a fart can , would save you or your parents a few hundred $$ per month
Old 03-13-2012, 11:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Is there any way I can un-click on a post? Like, can I have the last twenty seconds of my life back?

Good lord, why did I click on this one...

Old 03-13-2012, 11:16 AM
JK Freak

Get one of these (or something like it, they have electronic ones and butterfly screw ones..)... you just need to have someone weld it on which is fairly cheap.
It will give you a choice of having pretty much streight pipes when you want and back to normal when you don't....

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Gasket-5424...1666091&sr=8-1
Old 03-13-2012, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok this is what you NEED!!! Loud exhaust that's sure to get the attention of everyone. Easy to install. Your going to love it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnzw_...e_gdata_player

J/k by the way

Last edited by Sprocket; 03-13-2012 at 12:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Cheapest ways to make a loud jeep