Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Canada versus US built

Old 11-14-2018, 01:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canada versus US built

Is there difference between Canadian versus US built JK's. Was inquiring on the different prices on used JK's and was told the ones built in Canada were cheaper because they rust out really bad. Is this the truth or just a big sales pitch. I was looking at a 2016 and they were asking $31,000 and on the internet I found a couple of 2018's with less miles for $31,000 also. The sales man with the 2016 says that's because the 218 was built in Canada. Sounds phoney to me. your comments please

Old 11-14-2018, 01:59 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

In order for the salesman to be correct, there would have to be a JK factory in Canada.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Canadian model only difference I see is the maple leaf by the vin on the door pillar and my local dealer said their not allowed to offer some of the service specials to Canadian models.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:22 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I'd venture to say the salesman is mixing words with you to get you to buy a new one. I wouldn't buy from Canada because of the snow and thus salt. I learned my lesson buying a vehicle from Maryland, only a short distance from DC. It turns out they use a lot more salt than we do only 200 miles south. That salt crept into the nooks and crannies and has rusted the vehicle in places I didn't know would rust. That was a TJ. Washing them up very extensively would be the solution but getting into the same places where salt and moisture has gone can be very difficult.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
In order for the salesman to be correct, there would have to be a JK factory in Canada.
^This. I'm not aware of a JK factory in Canada. However, there are JK's built in Toledo, OH which are delivered to Canada which may have different Warranties, and regulatory items but I'ld bet other than some regional differences due to regulation differences, 99% of a U.S. model is the same as a Canada model and built in the same U.S. factory.

Quick Reply: Canada versus US built