Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Can you beat hardtop install my time???

Old 11-16-2009, 08:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you beat hardtop install my time???

I started at 5:30 and just finished 9:35. Yea pain in the butt I started lowering it and the darn thing flipped over I had it held up with cargo straps and a couple 2X4's and had bungee straps through the mounting holes to keep it stable. As I loosened one strap it let go and the whole thing rotated where the top left was on the bottom right and the bottom right was on the top left. I had to tie rope around the thing and attached it to the hoist so I could hopefully get it to the floor without damaging it any worse. Once it was down to the floor I flipped it top side up and reattached the T bar and hoisted it up and got in on.

I guess when I take it off again I and Sand it down and put a nice glossy paint job on it

So if it took you longer than 4 hours 5 minutes... you got me beat... now it is time to
Old 11-16-2009, 09:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually, my last hard top install time was about that long (didn't check my watch).

First I pulled off the factory soft top and surrounds.

Then I pulled off my mesh safari top.

Then I cleaned a bunch of accumulated trail grime from the interior.

Then I fitted a manual winch to the wall of the carport (no garage at my place) and anchored two eyebolts to the ceiling to improve the routing for the wire rope for my hard top hoist.

Then I spooled all that new wire rope onto the winch.

Then I hauled the dolly that my hard top is stored on over, pulled the tarp off, and cleaned my hard top.

Then I put the hard top on.

So don't feel bad. You installed your hard top, and you learned a valuable lesson
Old 11-16-2009, 09:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yea that was supposed to be lower it down and bolt it down. I had hanging for a couple months, lesson learned...don't use tie downs to hang it from the rafters thought it was a great idea at the time. Will re think that when I take it off again

Last edited by fourxfourjeep; 11-16-2009 at 09:59 PM. Reason: stupid spell check
Old 11-16-2009, 10:07 PM
JK Junkie

Wow that was a long time do you not have anybody that can help you me and my wife will have it on in like 15min max

Last edited by NTXJK; 11-17-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NTXJK
Wow that was a long time do you not have abybody that can help you me and my wife will have it on in like 15min max
likewise...and my girlfriend is 5'4" 120lbs...
Old 11-17-2009, 05:45 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Cargo straps, bungee cords and 2x4s. Now read that again. Even with nuthin else involved, it's a recipe for disaster.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:51 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Cargo straps, bungee cords and 2x4s. Now read that again. Even with nuthin else involved, it's a recipe for disaster.
x2... I cringe every time I see a hardtop stored up in the ceiling with straps. I know plenty of people are doing it but I personally would not. That a lot of money waiting to come crashing down.
See my sig for a more reliable and sturdy DIY hardtop hoist/storage solution.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:50 AM
JK Freak

Cloned that rig exactly and I can testify that it works great.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:16 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HG07JKRubi
x2... I cringe every time I see a hardtop stored up in the ceiling with straps. I know plenty of people are doing it but I personally would not. That a lot of money waiting to come crashing down.
Hard to beat that. It's a great solution.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep

Quick Reply: Can you beat hardtop install my time???