Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Can u flat tow 2dr w/ 4dr?

Old 07-17-2012, 05:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can u flat tow 2dr w/ 4dr?

My girl has an '09 Unlimited & is thinking of trading in for a 2012 Unlimited. I have a '10 2dr and I'm thinking of trading for a 2012 2 dr or a TJ. From Houston it can take 600 miles to get out of Texas. I was thinking we can save gas by flat towing the 2 dr down the relatively flat highways and then driving them separately in mountainous areas like in northern NM or in CO. The numbers say the 2012 2dr is too heavy even for the most capable stock 2012 Unlimited. Has anyone had experience proving otherwise? A TJ is light enough that I think even with steel bumpers, etc. it would be just under the max tow weight for the '12 Unlimited.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:47 AM
JK Freak

thats the beauty of the Jeeps - EASILY flat towed.

Mopar / Jeep know a large bit of their customers want to flat tow & even makes an integrated harness that uses factory wiring, factory tail light bulbs and provides a connector up front (under the bumper or behind the grill)...the kit even includes the 7 pin round cable that you'd need to connect the primary mover to the flat towed jeep.

We cant even tell the jeep is "back there" ! the Jeep tracks well (after '10 iirc they did away w/ the steering wheel lock, so no need to leave a key in the ignition while towing...and no need to pull any fuses)

the jeep although heavy (4k lbs) really has NO TONGUE weight when flat towing & has very little rolling or wind resistance - it tows better and lighter than our 16 foot 2k lb flat utility trailer...

I modified the connecter a bit and its location - easy enough work.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know about the 2dr JK with a JKU but I have towed my YJ with the JKU a number of times and have not had any issues. That amount of weight will put a strain on your brakes though, I would think about a proportional braking device or as others have said, just drive it.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:21 PM
JK Newbie

Bushpilot- I was thinking a setup like that. Thanks for the pics
Patricks99- I agree, a supplemental brake system would help keep it under control.

As far as driving both Jeeps on a trip. It cost about $250 in gas round trip to just get out of Texas if heading to Ouray or Moab, and there are many places we can go where we could tow even longer before having to drive both. That's money I'd like to save for other things if I can. Besides, I like having my girl beside me on road trips rather than just communicating by cb. It's also nice to switch drivers. If towing a 2 dr JK behind a 4 dr isn't safe, even on just the flat open highways, then driving both will just be the way it is, or I get something lighter like a TJ or older.

Leaving one Jeep at home isn't an option for our competitive natures.

I also realize the 4dr will use more gas towing, but I don't think it would consume all that we would save.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:49 PM
JK Freak

you can go cheap w/ a RIGID tow bar off craigs list for about 75 bucks....and for what youre doing i dont see that you need anything better than that (youll still be nice and short and be able to turn sharp)....because the steering/wheels are not locked on the towed jeep you can make some pretty nice/sharp turns even w/ a rigid tow bar.

if you go w/ the factory mopar harness youll spend the better part of 150 bucks just connecting the lights (if your on a budget i suggest using some nice 65 dollar magnetic lights...i have a brand new set, in a box that i used a few times before i bought the mopar harness...ill make you a deal on 'em.

then youll need some safety chains and youll have to figure out how youll connect the tow bar to the towed jeep - if your on a budget STAY AWAY from "base plates" (400 bucks new).

the set up you see w/ blue-ox tow bar and roadmaster base plates would run you over 1200 bucks....NEW (not including the lights)....i picked up the setup you see (minus the safety chains and lighting connection) for 250 bucks (via craigs list)....you dont have to be as elaborate...but at the same time you can find some WELL CARED FOR stuff out there on craigs list etc from the motorcoach crowd.

if youre coming over to the "welding event" sunday - you can look at my stuff and we can talk about your options.

Last edited by bushpilot; 07-17-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Interesting stuff. I want to move from one end of Canada to another driving an 08 unlimited and towing an 07 x 2dr manual. I was concerned with weights and now have learned that I can't use a dolly?

Fiancée doesn't want to drive on the busy roads to caravan it... Shipping is expensive... I don't really want to sell.... Hmmmm.

Quick Reply: Can u flat tow 2dr w/ 4dr?