Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Can they keep my deposit?

Old 02-05-2007, 03:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can they keep my deposit?

I was told when I ordered my JK that I had to give a $500 deposit. I received a receipt, but signed nothing. Now the dealership is telling me they didn't order it as I had requested (missing tow group and wrong color) and it can't be changed.
They are also saying they will keep my deposit, if I don't buy it. It is my understanding that since I have not signed a contract for sale or deposit they must reorder or return my deposit, but the Chrysler customer service keeps referring me back to dealer.
What can I do?
Old 02-05-2007, 03:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had to sign a contract stating total price and the $500 down payment/deposit is non-refundable if I change my mind. They made this very clear. If it isnt in writing then Id say, you deserve your money or they can change the order. They can just sell your order when it gets to them anyways, and probably for more than your paying. Dont let them give you shit on this one.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:45 PM
JK Freak

Cancel the check then cancel the order.

I just signed my paperwork and my check from Nov 17th was
still with my folder of order info at the dealer.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:39 PM
TEV
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealership cannot keep your deposit under any circumstances... legally this is true, but they do it all the time. I would threaten to call my lawyer and see what that does. For future reference always make your deposits on a credit card becuase then you can despute the charge. Legally, even on the day your order arrives you can get the deposit back. This is just a tactic to lure you into a sell. Be careful with the stealerships.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:58 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TEV
I would threaten to call my lawyer and see what that does. For future reference always make your deposits on a credit card becuase then you can despute the charge.
I'm with TEV here, just tell them you won't put up with this crap. The order is wrong. Period. If they don't budge, dispute the credit card charge. You'll win the dispute. They can't keep your money if they didn't deliver the goods.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:19 PM
JK Freak

Credit card is the best. I put the down on the credit card just incase there were any issues, I could dispute the whole charge!! I am sure that would get anyones attention if you gave them money and then took it back.

Credit card transactions usually go into a holding account where the credit card company can quickly pull it back. Think of it like an escrow. Haha. Don't let em mess with you!

If the deal isn't right, don't accept the Jeep. After all they would be in breach of contract if you order something, they don't deliver, and then they want to keep your deposit. You can also serve them with a small claims law suit. It isn't worth their time. It would cost them more in the end to defend. And I am sure you would win...SLAM DUNK Case!!

PM me if you have any more questions.

Last edited by Cesar; 02-05-2007 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:58 PM
JK Freak

They have to give your money back, especially with no contract signed. Regardless, they'll sell every JK they can get on the lot anyway; and make more money than with ordered vehicles. Sounds like you're dealing with a jerk.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:07 AM
JK Freak

Call for a revolution and shoot him!
Old 02-06-2007, 11:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Tell the dealer you are reporting them to DMV. Sounds like they are just trying to put you into a vehicle they have coming in, not something they ordered for you.

If you need to take it further contact teh DMV to find out who governs the auto dealers.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by benmar2000
I agree.. I asked the Finance Manager at the dealership I go to and he was floored but that.. He said to contact DC about it.. Don't be pushed around.. It is your money..

Ben
Unfortunately the factory does not do much in way of regulating the dealers whit this type fo stuff. That is why DaimlerChrysler keeps sending him back to his dealer.

Another thing to look at is who are you dealing with? On something like this I would go straight to the General manager. Of course you wan tot have some research done before you do this. Find out who regulates the dealers and do some research about what would happen to the dealer for pulling something like this. Then tell him you are ready to take action if they do not handle it properly.

Last edited by JPRS51; 02-06-2007 at 11:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Can they keep my deposit?