Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Can a soft top go through the car wash?

Old 04-14-2008, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My vinyl windows are dark tinted, and they don't look like they'll turn yellow. Well, mine is a year old, and the windows are all scratched up anyway. No matter how you take good care of the windows, they'll scratched up. If they start looking bad, I'd just buy the replacement.

If any case, I think it's more likely the UV causes yellowing the windows than soaps. If you are concerned, after touchless wash, you can clan the plastic windows with Mopar or Bestop/RaggTopp vinyl window cleaner and finish with 303 Aerospace Protectant.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I believe in automatic car washes the gov is trying to ban the pre soak. Something about how it is being an acid or something.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default washing jeep

I get my jeep wash at least 2 times a week in one of those car washes. no problems at all.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

mine goes through once every 2-3 months, no leaks or probs here.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Not To Be ''piling On'' But....

Originally Posted by inajeep
Since it has been recommended not to use soap of any sort on the plastic windows I would think the detergents might have a long term effect of yellowing the windows. Once or twice might not be a big deal but I would avoid it if possible.
My last Wrangler had three different tops over a 13 year period, used all different types of soaps including ''palmolive dishwashing liquid''- NO affect on any of the windows, clear or deep tinted.....
Old 04-14-2008, 09:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
So than how is everyone washing in the winter months if the car was is no good? Everyone switches to a hard top?

Hardtop and touchless carwash in the winter. I would say hand wash in the warm weather with the soft top, but the Jeep and I haven't seen warm weather, together, yet.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:39 PM
JK Freak

Hardtop and touchless in winter (about 6-8 mos/year up here) and DIY pressure wand the rest of the time.

Sooner or later the whole top will be perma-khaki (dirt brown) and I won't be so worried.

Quick Reply: Can a soft top go through the car wash?