Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Can I Trailer a Car with my Wrangler

Old 08-16-2011, 06:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I Trailer a Car with my Wrangler

Hey guys,

I am an avid racer with my 2006 Mitsubishi Evolution 9 and Im now starting to travel farther and farther for races. Driving it to the track just is not working for me anymore. I had a YJ back in the day and loved it and well here is my question.

Im looking to buy a new truck to tow my Evo on an open car trailer. The car weights 3100lbs. Not sure how much the trailer would weight and with a few sets of rims and some gas on it.

My question is... Can a 4 door wrangler tow it? I love the Jeeps and really would love to get back into one. If the jeep is capable of towing the car then I would hands down get a Jeep.

Any and all suggestions or thoughts would definitely be appreciated. I am looking at all years that the 4 door is available. If there is a specific year or model that would be best for this please let me know.

Thanks!
Joe
Old 08-16-2011, 06:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know it can i have pulled heavier with my 2 door for a short period ( i could not hold highway speeds)

The thing is thats allot of weight for coil springs and our little 3.8L and the auto trans would need some beefing up. probably an air bag inside the rear coils to help offset the weight on the hitch. I would personally do it on flat land without a question. In the hills that would be a different story we just dont have the HP to hold hills or highway speeds for any period of time with a load like that.

You would defanatly have to load it properly (no more than 250LB on the toung) Would have to have good trialer brakes.
Take special care of drivetrian and brake fluids

You would be pulling 4000-4500 lbs. with an aluminum trailer.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:59 AM
JK Newbie

Hmm... So it sounds like the Jeep 4door might not be the best of options. I would be traveling from Long Island to as far as Nebraska with the car in tow.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:10 AM
JK Super Freak

i would say no... but if you wanted to stick with jeep the WJ-WK Grand Cherokee can tow 5,000+ if equiped with the V8.

We got a 2001 WJ 4.7L for my wife in the event i need to tow my rig which would be about 6,000Lbs(with trailer) its equipped with trailer brakes and Preformance SSBC sloted brakes. I still wouldnt tow my rig all the time with hers but once in a while if i take it easy on her GC it would be fine.

I am no expert at towing or things like this. All i know is what i have learned from friends and family and experiance towing. I also dont trust the new motors and transmissions to tow much more than what the rating is. On my old pickup with a SB350 and 350turbo transmission i would pull as much as i could sometimes 8-10000lbs

Last edited by The_Yeti; 08-16-2011 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:16 AM
JK Newbie

Hmm. Thats a shame. I was really hoping this would be the opportunity for me to kill 2 birds with one stone and get back into a wrangler that I had loved so much. Guess it looks like its going to be a boring pick up truck

Thanks for the help though
Old 08-16-2011, 07:24 AM
JK Super Freak

not a problem.

I would wait for some others to chime in though.

I know we have some guys who pull big campers with their JK's but i think they put allot of work into the drivetrian and brakes. You could always get a used JK and an old pickup

Thats what i had and i sold the truck because i moved to colorado.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Unfortunately, this should not even be a consideration. The max tow capacity on the JK is 3500 pounds. Add a trailer and gear and you are way over.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've pulled a grand am back from st. Louis to Chicago, it struggled but it did it. I've grot an 07. I've also been through 2 transmissions.... Not that pulling the car did the damage, the trans failed long after I pulled the car. And the second time without ever towing, the trans just quit. The pump failed. But short distances I'm sure you will be ok. Maybe install a trans cooler just to be on the safe side. As for the hills, FORGET IT! We all know we have power issues to begin with.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you have to get a truck the Ford Raptor is not a bad option and can easily tow your car.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:01 PM
JK Jedi

If your towing... ditch the wrangler and go with a used F250 Diesel. I just sold my 2004 F250 Diesel 4x4 that was lifted and pulled a 37' fifth wheel with it that weighed 13K with no problems.

Good luck with your choice!!

Quick Reply: Can I Trailer a Car with my Wrangler