Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Camping equipment in a JK 2 door.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Camping equipment in a JK 2 door.

I am gearing up (or down as it really seems to be) for wheeling and camping from my JK this summer. All my previous camping trips have involved a tow rig and trailering my CJ and wheeling out of camp, always returning to camp. I only carried simple food and spare parts while wheeling that way.

This year the JK will be the "mobile base camp" and I have to figure out a way to carry all my stuff with me. Without adding large cargo racks, I am going to simply size down my equipment. Removing the rear seat and prepping for one person should not be a huge deal, but I am looking for suggestions on the minimum amount of gear to take for multi day wheeling/camping treks.

Figure camping in the Colorado Rockies from a 2 door jeep.

Bare essentials for one person while JK camping w/o being too primitive?
Packing suggestions?
What is considered absolutely necessary form a mechanical/tool/part POV?

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2012, 10:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you're looking to do is exactly how I camp. I do this with my girlfirend and I with no problems. The two door can be a great camping vehicle is packing efficiently.

Camping gear:
-Tent of any reasonable size (I have a large one that was gioven to me for free so I use that)
-Camp stove, 3 small propane cylinders, plates, cups, untensils, fire startes/matches, and water purification tablets all in a large rectangular ammo can (about 30"x 12 x 18)
-Sleeping bags and pillows
-Cooler with a lot of ice and minimal good that MUST be kept cold
-Plastic 5 gallon jerry can for water
-Duffle bag of personal belongings
-Jerry can of fuel (I plan on making a place to mount mine. I currently don't carry it)
-Folding chairs

Tools: (I always have this in a small tool bag in my Jeep)
-Claw hammer
-2 good size adjustable wrenches
-Channel Locks
-Side cutter/lineman pliers
-Needle Nose Pliers
-Rope or paracord (unless you have a pararcord bracelet like I do, then I just have rope)
-Tie Wraps/Zip Ties
-Gloves
-Multi Tip Screwdriver
Old 03-22-2012, 10:50 AM
JK Super Freak

A good cooler helps a lot. I use a Yeti Roadie 25-quart. Keeps ice for days, makes a good food prep surface (because it's super flat and smooth on top), and it's strong enough that even a big guy can sit on it around camp.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Old 03-22-2012, 12:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Seat in or out, you should have more than enough room (way more) for one person to camp for several days out of a 2-door. I can't see any reason to resort to storage racks, roof racks, or the like.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK-Tex
Seat in or out, you should have more than enough room (way more) for one person to camp for several days out of a 2-door. I can't see any reason to resort to storage racks, roof racks, or the like.
Exactly. People go out canoe tripping for weeks, solo in a jeep should be a piece of cake!
Old 03-22-2012, 05:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I camp out of mine all the time, 2drs are perfect for camping! I even sleep inside mine an I'm 6'3"! All you have do is push both the seats forward and your feet go on the center console. A hitch carrier is a must though. A cooler and a tote with all your camping gear on the hitch carrier, all clothes/blankets inside the jeep, and you're good to go.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Some great ideas, guys. Thanks!

I took a look at the YETI cooler today. Looks like an awesome cooler, but wow, what a price tag on that!

Off this weekend to shop for more camping gear. (As if I did not have enough already). Just in the mood.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't use a hitch carrier when I go. Normally for 2 people and nice weather I just bring:

2 eagles nest outfitters hammocks
Stocked cooler
A back pack each with our stuff in it
Adjustable wrenches
Hi lift
Chains
Straps

Note: I back country hike so my backpack is well prepped and includes as mentioned earlier, parachord which is necessary outdoors.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I added a roof rack and have the option of mounting my hitch carrier on the roof of my hardtop. I plan on putting a kayak on the other side.

I'm going to be doing the same thing you are and am currently in Kansas (started in DC) on my way to the Rockies to spend the summer. It would be great to link up at some point. Not sure how smart it is to wheel, hike and camp solo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120323_061510.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	294092

Quick Reply: Camping equipment in a JK 2 door.