Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Camping With A 2 Door Jeep

Old 07-10-2011, 05:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Camping With A 2 Door Jeep

Does anyone do allot of camping or expeditions with a 2dr and some family?

If so what do you do for cargo room?

I take my wife, dog and camping equipment. I use a camp box, tent, 2 sleeping bags, 2 chairs, water cans and a cooler. We leave the back seat in due to friends and the dog. I tried a hitch mounted rack but it was flimsy and did not fit well.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a trailer hitch cargo basket. I can fit some of the camping gear and two medium sized dogs into the back of the jeep, with the back seat removed. Then I put the rest in the cargo basket. You can do some moderate wheeling, enough to get to a camp site, if you provide the cargo basket with some extra support. I ratchet strap mine to the rear bumper to provide a little more support. I did a week long trip to Collegiate peaks last summer.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not a lot of space in a 2 door. Best option might be a roof rack or small trailer to pull.

http://www.gobijeep.com/JK.htm

http://www.littlecargotrailers.com/small_cargo_trailer
Old 07-10-2011, 06:20 PM
JK Freak

Yeah, I camp out of my 2door and space is very limited what to do besides in gear
Old 07-10-2011, 06:21 PM
JK Super Freak

I tried the cargo rack and extension to clear the tire. It bounced everywhere and made the jeep handle bad. I had my shocks set to work/haul and it still didn't seem safe.

I want to keep the back seat incase I have an in expected passenger. Had a friend break down on a trail and riding back home on a tool box wasn't too safe.

I think I may have to sacrifice this luxury or look into a roof rack or trailer.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by The_Yeti
I tried the cargo rack and extension to clear the tire. It bounced everywhere and made the jeep handle bad. I had my shocks set to work/haul and it still didn't seem safe.

I want to keep the back seat incase I have an in expected passenger. Had a friend break down on a trail and riding back home on a tool box wasn't too safe.

I think I may have to sacrifice this luxury or look into a roof rack or trailer.

I always take my Jeep down to the beach and I always tie things down to my front bumper. With my Olympic there is some room in between the bumper and the grill and it fits various things perfectly.. We put folded up chairs there, we've put an ice chest there before, my skimboard fits there. Not all front bumpers work well for this though. I don't have any pics now, but I could snap some if necessary.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Anyone use a roof rack on a 2dr? Does it add allot of weight and throw off your COG? Will the gobi work with a body lift?
Old 07-10-2011, 09:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Trailer seems like the best bet. Otherwise re-think your load. Small containers and bins except for the ice chest.

On a hardtop I think a lightweight roof rack that fits behind the T-tops would work for lightweight stuff.

Or, your friends get a Jeep and you leave the back seat at home.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:56 AM
JK Super Freak

I just got back from a camping trip ... towed a 4x8 trailer loaded with everything.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dmhines
I just got back from a camping trip ... towed a 4x8 trailer loaded with everything.
did you get just a little cargo trialer or an offroad trialer?

Quick Reply: Camping With A 2 Door Jeep