Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

buying/signing for a Jeep

Old 03-04-2008, 04:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default buying/signing for a Jeep

I've never bought a new vehicle before...so I'm not sure how this works, especially with the lifetime powertrain warranty.

My mom works at a company where they get 1% below invoice on Jeeps (and other makers as well)...

So we talked to a dealer who agreed to give us the price and allow me be the one who put my name on the title...instead having my Mom do it, then transfering the title to me, which would void the lifetime warranty.

problem is, I don't know if he is going to give me any problems or not come signing day (hopefully this week).

so is there another way around it?

Can we (my mom and I) co-sign for the jeep and have BOTH of our names be on the title...making the lifetime warranty good for either of us? I would like to just keep my mom's name off of all the paperwork, but we may not be able to...

thoughts?? don't husband/wife combos both put thier names on the paperwork? can that be done with any two people? or just married people?

thanks...hope this makes sense.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the salesman will work with you to get what you want. As long as your Mom doesn't mind being on the title for life, I don't think there would be a problem.

Seriously, I think things are workable for you. It probably is no issue to have you solely on the title and registration with the loan company as the lien holder but your mom on the hook for payments. Also, the company deal you talked about probably includes immediate family members of the employee, if you all pour over the details. I know my corporate discount does that, although I believe we have to reside in the same domicile.

The short of it is, if there is ANYTHING screwy or wrong about what paperwork they slide over to you, DON'T SIGN IT! We just picked up the wife's Commander last night (and my hand is still sore from writer's cramp), but I found mistakes in what was put down on paper three times. It was promptly corrected. And it was simply mistakes, not trying to change values to grab more profit.

Besides, sitting and reading what you're signing is both a good idea and makes the bad ones start to sweat visibly.

Last edited by PegaZus; 03-04-2008 at 04:38 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

That discount usally carries to family members. My wife gets it through Turner and she can give the discount to anyone. She only gets two a year though.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Do you plan to offroad? If so worrying about the warrenty makes no sence. That piece of paper is not worth the effort if you mod or offroad.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Unless you are working with a pretty screwy dealer, you shouldn't anticipate any problems. In my experience actually GETTING the dealer to COMMIT to something is the problem. Once they say that they are OK with a situation, they've almost always followed through. Not that this is always the case, but that's how it's mostly been handled with me.

My wife and I are both on the title for my Jeep. In fact, she is the primary name on the lien and I am secondary. Her credit was better, so the loan, thus the title, ended up in her name. Either of us will be able to claim the warranty according to our dealer since both names are there, so if worse comes to worst, take that route.

I don't know if you ordered your Jeep or just found one on the lot, but if it's just an "on the lot" model, don't be afraid to walk if they screw with you. It sucks having to start all over again, but make sure you get what you came for and NOTHING less. If they agreed to leave her name off the title, and they try to change it at the last minute, then leave. Even at 1% under invoice, they still make money on the deal, so there is incentive for them to follow through. I walked three times with the paperwork already on the table when buying my YJ. It worked like a charm. If they screw with you, don't let any of their tactics intimidate you either. Remember, you haven't purchased a Jeep until you have signed the paperwork, so even with pen in hand, before you've inked the contract, you can still walk if it gets hinky on you.
And for God's sake, read the contract, like PegaZus said. This is something that will stick with you for many years, so taking a few extra minutes to read things through is worth the time.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:45 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by cjsdad
That discount usally carries to family members. My wife gets it through Turner and she can give the discount to anyone. She only gets two a year though.
Where were you when I bought my Jeep?
Old 03-04-2008, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

are you concerned because you need a co-signer?

i'm not sure about ohio laws, but in PA you can have a co-signer on a loan and not put them on the title.

it's been a while, but my first car was an almost new 1995 YJ. i was 19 & in college and needed my dad to co-sign. he wasn't on the title though.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

personally, i don't need my mom to co-sign with me or anything. we just used her employee status to try to get a good price on the Jeep.

she gets 1% below invoice (but ONLY for her or her spouse). so she could "buy" it for me, then we could switch names on the title...then it would be mine...however, then i wouldn't be the original owner, and i wouldn't have the lifetime powertrain warranty.

so we explained this to our dealer and he said "no problem" and that we could put my name on the title, not hers. so i ordered...have waited 7 months...through horrible customer service... and now the day is nearing.

i asked him what i needed to bring...and he said..just the paperwork (for the employee status)...which i have, and will bring. but i just feel like he is going to give me problems about it. so i am just trying to come up with "backup plans" to get my price that i was promised. we never signed anything...he specifically stated that our words were good enough. i would have gotten more on paper, but i live 2 hours from the dealer.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Are you sure it only applies to her or her spouse. I know that my plan applies to my direct family (including children). I have the standard DaimlerChrysler Affiliate Rewards deal.

Honestly, i think you could get just as good of a deal from the dealer without the program. They have an incentive from daimlerchrysler for $400 on any vehicle they sell, so even selling at invoice they still make money. They only real benifit was knowing that i didn't have to haggle with them. If they try to pull a fast one on you, just walk from the deal. I'm sure they won't even let you out of the parking lot before changing their minds. And if they are that foolish, you could always go to another dealership. A lot of dealerships give this same exact pricing through their internet sales department. Don't let them lie to you, wranglers are NOT selling as well as they want, and they don't want vehicles sitting on the lot.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:53 AM
JK Junkie

I don't know about other states but if the laws are the same as in MD you do not want more than one name on the title. In MD if you have say your wife's and your name on the title and end up in an accident, then they can sue you for everything you own, because all of your stuff will be in one or both of your names.

If the auto is only titled in one name and you are in an accident, then they can't take anything you own where both of your names are on it ie. house, bank accounts etc.

Quick Reply: buying/signing for a Jeep