Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Buying a JKU this week, need some quick advice...

Old 03-04-2013, 08:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hypractv

Yes, I def would prefer the Pentastar over the 3.8L.

I just figure that for the $2k difference, the newer engine, updated interior and low mileage would be the better choice. This would not be a DD so I figure the '12 will hold a little more resale in a couple years over the '09.
I had a 09 and traded it for the 12. With the new interior and engine, u can't go wrong. Did u test drive the new pentastar? The engine alone would make it an easy choice for me. I have no regrets selling my 09. Good luck with whatever u decide.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Re: warranty on 2012 factory 3/36 and 5/60 or whatever warrant follows the car not the owner, no need to transfer and no fee. Lifetime warranty vehicles only to first owner. If an extended service contract (not warranty) was purchased by original owner it can be transferred to secondary owner for a fee. Usually this would happen via a private party purchase from another individual. If buying used from a dealer they will or should offer you an extended service contract for a fee.
Most individuals that did purchase an extended service contract from dealer when buying said vehicle will cancel it after vehicle traded (if any coverage remains) and paid off to get a refund of a pro-rated amount. At my dealer when someone trades a vehicle that has an extended warranty we will ask the customer if they want to use that pro-rated amount to help with the down on the next vehicle and have them sign the refund over to us to use towards the down payment.

I have had an 07JKUR and now a 12 JKUS IMO go with the 12 Sport the motor and trans makes a world of difference. Plus your getting a lot less mileage on the jeep to start.
And if your just learning to wheel, knowing how to get thru stuff with an open front and LSD in the rear will be a big benefit.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the great feed back. The owner texted me this evening and dropped his price a little. The difference in costs is now $3,500 where it was originally $1,500.

Any other thoughts are welcomed.

'09 JKUR
Pros:
  • $3.5k less than 2012 Sport
  • Hard Top
  • E Lockers
  • Roc Track xFer Case

Cons:
  • Totally out of any and all warranty
  • 67k miles
  • Khaki interior (which I was never a fan of)

'12 JKUR
Pros:
  • Preferred Color Choice
  • 15k miles
  • Pentastar
  • Updated Interior

Cons:
  • $3.5k more that the '09 Rubi however it is a newer vehicle.
  • 3.21 gearing, but that is easily remedied!
Old 03-04-2013, 09:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Get the 12
Old 03-04-2013, 10:04 PM
JK Newbie

U can always get a 6 year 100000 mile warranty from ur insurance company. I bought mine through mercury insurance. It was about $1700 with a $100 deductible.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are the asking prices? The Rubi sounds overpriced, or the '12 is a good deal.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was the same kind of buyer as you. After looking for 6 months I ended up getting a new 2013. The resale on any used one was just to high. Get the 3.6 engine.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Sporticon
Re: warranty on 2012 factory 3/36 and 5/60 or whatever warrant follows the car not the owner, no need to transfer and no fee.
I posted this earlier. This is straight out of the Chrysler Warranty agreement.

Transfer of Powertrain Warranty
To transfer the Powertrain Warranty, you must have an
authorized Chrysler, Dodge or Jeep dealer process a
"Transfer of Coverage Application" for you. The cost
for this service is $150. You pay this fee directly to the
dealer. You must apply for a coverage transfer within 30
days from the date you buy the vehicle.

G. No Coverage to Second Purchaser if
Transfer Fee is Not Paid

If you do not transfer the remainder of the 7 year/70,000
mile Powertrain Limited Warranty coverage and pay the
transfer fee, or if you are the third (or subsequent) owner
of the vehicle, the Powertrain Limited Warranty de-
scribed in this Section 2.2 does not apply to you
Old 03-05-2013, 04:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Side Note - (devils advocate)

There are a ton of "ins and outs," but you have to also consider, that while you are getting the warranty on the '12, too many mods will void that warranty, making it a moot point.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

... Here is a new twist.

When I first looked over the '09 Rubi from the private party seller he disclosed that his wife was in a minor fender bender where an oncoming car hit the front bumber and did some minor damage. I inspected the bumper, subframe, etc and all was intake except for the minor damage to the front bumper cover.

I pulled the carfox and it shows 'very minor damage'. Now while I am inclined to think, eh it was minor and easily taken care of with some nice new bumpers I am concerned that it will bite me in the rear if / when I go to resell the '09.

Am I over-thinking this...

Quick Reply: Buying a JKU this week, need some quick advice...