Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Buying from a distant dealership. Good or Bad idea?

Old 10-17-2007, 03:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the opinions. The dealer that has the Jeep I am interested in doesn't want to give me a quote without me coming into the dealership. That has kind of ticked me off, and leads me to believe they are not in a dealing mood. I hate to drive out there, just to get jerked around on price, and have to drive back without a deal. Maybe they ae betting I would sign the deal after all that effort?

Anyway, I may be back to ordering. May try the local dealer this weekend, see if they can locate one that another dealer will trade before having to order. May also wok on the distant dealer a bit more, but I am not too hopeful with them.

Thanks again!
Old 10-17-2007, 04:00 AM
JK Newbie

Right. He's not in a dealing mood. Why would he be? If you're willing to travel 70 miles for a vehicle that you've got your heart set on, in a competitive environment, etc.... That's his dream scenario. Why should he negotiate? You want it, he's got it.

I've used the James Bragg "fax attack" and CarBargains methods for the last two vehicles I've purchased (a JK and a Liberty), and I'll never go back. The big difference is that you basically only go to the dealership to sign the papers, and in both scenarios, I got the exact model I wanted. Now, it wasn't a decked-out Rubicon, but still got the car I wanted at a price tbat made me feel like I was getting a good deal. I tried to buy a Durango on Long Island a few years ago before I learned about these methods, going into dealerships, and it was a nightmare. All of the classic high-pressue scenarios (you have to put a $1k deposit today! Constant reminder calls...ugh. "Let's talk payments, not price").

The only annoying thing about CarBargains is that it typically takes a week for the bids to come in, but if you're patient, you get a good deal. They give you a chart of the best bids, along with the best combination of prices and fees (it's no good to get an MSRP minus $400 if the dealer charges $400 in document fees - with Carbargains, you see ALL fees in one quote). If you do the fax attack method yourself, there's a decent chance that many dealers won't even bother to respond, but you just have to shoot for enough quotes that you're assured of at least 3-4 responses. I can't promise it works for everyone, but worked out well for me.

http://www.checkbook.org/auto/carbarg.cfm

(The fax attack basically does the same thing as CarBargains, only you do it yourself)

Last edited by Scott99999; 10-17-2007 at 04:08 AM.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Good Advice

Originally Posted by Checkered24

Hmm. Hopefully everything is there and ready to go. Shouldn't be any issues. If there are, just be sure to get any commitments to send you replacement items, repair anything, pay for repairs, etc in writing before you sign on the bottom line!
I know this dealership does ALLOT of business so I feel somewhat comfortable but.. Murphy rides in my back pocket most of the time and there could always be issues from the factory or during shipment.
After the standard dealer runaround for almost two months from ten other dealers, this was the only place that would give me prices without the "come on down and we will see what we can do" and they had no problems ordering what I wanted over what was on the lot. I had dealers that were 400+ miles away that asked when I could come in for a test drive. I tried the Costco deal and local dealers said it really wasn't a deal and sticker was cheaper.

It seems worth it right now. I will save approx 2K and get what I want. I will let you know if I feel the same once I take delivery.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 2k8RubiRed
I know this dealership does ALLOT of business so I feel somewhat comfortable but.. Murphy rides in my back pocket most of the time and there could always be issues from the factory or during shipment.
After the standard dealer runaround for almost two months from ten other dealers, this was the only place that would give me prices without the "come on down and we will see what we can do" and they had no problems ordering what I wanted over what was on the lot. I had dealers that were 400+ miles away that asked when I could come in for a test drive. I tried the Costco deal and local dealers said it really wasn't a deal and sticker was cheaper.

It seems worth it right now. I will save approx 2K and get what I want. I will let you know if I feel the same once I take delivery.
Good luck! It sounds like you may have found a good dealer, or at least a good salesmaan anyway!
Old 10-17-2007, 01:25 PM
JK Newbie

I was in a similar situation earlier this year when I bought my JK unlimited. I found the JK I wanted at a dealer about 40 miles away after searching the Jeep website. What I did was I went to that dealer and test drove the JK. When asked, I was non-committal and said I just wanted to test drive, not buy that day.

Then a few days later, I made a deal with the dealer closest to me who traded a JK unlimited to the other dealer for my Jeep. I wanted to go local because I've also gotten better service from my selling dealers before as well. My closest dealer is a smaller / newer dealer where I thought I could get better service. There are about 10 dealers within a 50 mile radius of where I live, so I had some choices, but I bought locally and it worked out.

I'm actually kinda surprised they made the deal, as I had one specific JK in mind, and I was using a DCX Friends & Family discount code I got from an old Army buddy who works at DCX. Maybe it helped that I was trading in a TJ that they sold in a week for about 2k over what I traded it for. I bought in April 2007, btw.

Good Luck in making your deal. Hope it works out.

Quick Reply: Buying from a distant dealership. Good or Bad idea?