Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

to buy a rubi or not to buy a rubi....

Old 03-02-2011, 12:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to buy a rubi or not to buy a rubi....

I just sold my 07 2 door rubicon and am already looking at getting another one. The reason why I got rid of it is because I broke my rear locker, sway bar disconnect, and after flooding it up to the bottom of my seats, the check engine light wouldn't shut off. thinking it was some electrical issue? Either way, I know I want a four door but I'm debating on if I should buy a rubicon or not? From what I can tell the only difference between a rubi and a sport is the front axle (dana 44 vs 35), the obvious lockers, sway disco (which I broke anyway) and about 6k. My question is could you buy lockers and a 44 for the front for less?
any advice or input is much appreciated!!
Old 03-02-2011, 01:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could you find all that stuff for less than $6,000? Yeah you probably could. But it would be easier to just buy the Rubicon in my opinion.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:21 PM
JK Super Freak

You could get a lot for about 6k. But why not look for a killer deal on a sport , and just upgrade with trusted aftermarket parts? That's what I'd do.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:25 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin Isaac
I just sold my 07 2 door rubicon and am already looking at getting another one. The reason why I got rid of it is because I broke my rear locker, sway bar disconnect, and after flooding it up to the bottom of my seats, the check engine light wouldn't shut off. thinking it was some electrical issue? Either way, I know I want a four door but I'm debating on if I should buy a rubicon or not? From what I can tell the only difference between a rubi and a sport is the front axle (dana 44 vs 35), the obvious lockers, sway disco (which I broke anyway) and about 6k. My question is could you buy lockers and a 44 for the front for less?
any advice or input is much appreciated!!
People often forget the 4 to 1 transfer case when listing the things included on the Rubicon.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:32 PM
JK Super Freak

From what I can tell the only difference between a rubi and a sport is the front axle (dana 44 vs 35), the obvious lockers, sway disco (which I broke anyway) and about 6k.
There's also the rubi transfer case with the 4:1 ratio over the 2.72:1, and the upgraded shocks and springs. Oh, and I guess the wheels and tires...but those are usually the first things to go anyway.

(And the hood decals!!! Those add about 47 horsepower.)

*edit: looks like ronjenx beat me to the post.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:50 PM
JK Freak

Here is a similar, recent thread with good info:

Sport vs. Rubicon
Old 03-02-2011, 05:56 PM
JK Newbie

As far as the t-case goes, correct me if I'm wrong, is total crap anyway? Mine never wanted to go into gear...problem is an AM one is pricey.

I went to the dealer today and because I'm paying cash they could get me into a brand new sport for 25,500 for a hard top, auto, and a/c. The best they could do on a rubi was 34,250...price difference of 8,750. for that kind of money you could get a t-case, a 44, 5.38's, and 2 lockers right?

Last edited by Austin Isaac; 03-02-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:59 PM
JK Super Freak

As far as the t-case goes, correct me if I'm wrong, is total crapy anyway? Mine never wanted to go into gear...problem is an AM one is pricey.

I went to the dealer today and because I'm paying cash they could get me into a brand new sport for 25,500 for a hard top, auto, and a/c. The best they could do on a rubi was 34,250...price difference of 8,750. for that kind of money you could get a t-case, a 44, 5.38's, and 2 lockers right?
Depending on the brands you choose, it would be a possibility. Lockers vary on prices, and axles aren't that cheap. But the good thing about buying axles, you get to choose the gearing(also depending on brands) and sometimes if you'd like it to be locker ready/equipped.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK.nick
Depending on the brands you choose, it would be a possibility. Lockers vary on prices, and axles aren't that cheap. But the good thing about buying axles, you get to choose the gearing(also depending on brands) and sometimes if you'd like it to be locker ready/equipped.
So just some quick reaserch, a 44 is about 2k, 2 lockers 1700, gear are about 800 installed, and an atlas t-case is about 3k. I guess I just need to think if the hours it takes to insall all this is worth 1500 bucks....
Old 03-02-2011, 07:21 PM
JK Super Freak

So just some quick reaserch, a 44 is about 2k, 2 lockers 1700, gear are about 800 installed, and an atlas t-case is about 3k. I guess I just need to think if the hours it takes to insall all this is worth 1500 bucks....
Good fast research. That sounds about right for it all. Unless you are very experienced with axles and all that, you'll have no option but to have it done professionally. I'd say go for it. You'll have a TRUE 44 and not the rubi ones.

Quick Reply: to buy a rubi or not to buy a rubi....