Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: What would you do?
Trade up for a Rubicon
45.24%
Build up the Sahara
54.76%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Buy a new Rubicon or build a Saharacon?

Old 02-08-2010, 11:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porters
This is a what would you do question. I made a mistake and bought a Sahara instead of a Rubicon. Now it's time to fix that mistake. I can trade in my 08 Sahara with 25K miles in on a new 2010 Rubi and the price difference would be around $10K. Or I could keep the Sahara and use the $10K to build the Sahara into something better than a stock Rubicon.

If I built up the Sahara, I could put in a Dynatrac Pro D44 up front with an ARB, and put a 35 spline ARB kit on the rear. I could do a reasonable lift and even do new bumpers. The main downside to this option is should I ever need to sell the Sahara I would never be able to get my investment out of the vehicle.

On the other hand, a brand new Rubi with a reasonable lift would get me a long way. And I could probably sell it for close to what I bought it for should the need arise.

So what would you do?
Based upon your reasoning which probably reflects your concerns, I think buying a new '10 Rubi is a better option.

If you sell your Sahara and negotiate a good price on the Rubi (coupled with current incentives), I think the difference will be less than $10K and as you stated you will be able to recoup more of your costs if needed.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RRCP08JK
. . . it really depends on what your going to be doing with her.
That's a really great question. I should have provided that info up front. I have 3 boys and the oldest is now 9. I appreciated having a dad that took me into the back country of Utah, Idaho, & Wyoming when I was a kid and now it's time to pass it on to my boys.

Any by the way my boys love the JK and all the places we have been. Better still, I typically take my dad with me too on our adventures.

A couple of quick pics of Dad and my oldest in Cathedral Valley:

I live in Utah so Moab (Going there next month ) will be a regular part of my boys back country education, so the target is a Moab worthy JK that is both capable and reliable. I want to be able to get to the places I want to go without breaking. I plan to wheel around Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, and Idaho, for the next 10 or so years and then pass the JK on to my oldest son. I suspect he will drive it another 10 years or so. So I want a JK that will last.

As for specs . . . Id like to run 35s. However, front and rear D60 with 37s would sure be nice. I want to keep the GOG low but the clearance high. That probably means flat fenders, big tires, and a minimal lift. It would be nice if the overall height was low enough to be able to keep it in the garage.

Thanks for all the advice so far, and lets see those Saharacon stickers when you get them.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a what would you do question. I made a mistake and bought a Sahara instead of a Rubicon. Now it's time to fix that mistake. I can trade in my 08 Sahara with 25K miles in on a new 2010 Rubi and the price difference would be around $10K. Or I could keep the Sahara and use the $10K to build the Sahara into something better than a stock Rubicon.
I don't get this logic. The $10K is not in a bank somewhere, so how are you going to use that money to buy upgrades?
Old 02-09-2010, 12:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Also, have you tried selling the Sahara yourself? That 10K might be a smaller figure getting more out of a private sale vs. trading it in.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:36 PM
JK Freak

The Jeep is an extremely capable vehicle whether it's a Sahara, X, or Rubi. It'll take your family to all those places regardless, how much hard wheeling you do is the limitation. I'd say if you plan on going up to 37's trade up to the Rubi.

You can run upgraded wheels and have e-lockers (not the best, but they do work) bone stock. Suspension would be roughly the same cost for Sahara and Rubi, but necessary re-gearing and tire size is better suited for D44's. Rubi D44's+Gussets+Sleeves would be cheaper than paying someone to swap the Sahara front axle and do the same thing.

I guess if you planned on doing all the labor yourself and selling the Sahara axle you could save more money that way.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sticking with the Sahara is probably the most cost effective option.

However that didn't stop me from ordering a new Rubicon last week! It will stay very close to stock for a long time as it is more for seeing the continent than say bashing through who knows what for no good reason.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JeeperDude
I don't get this logic. The $10K is not in a bank somewhere, so how are you going to use that money to buy upgrades?
I have been saving up for upgrades or a trade in for some time now. I actually worked out a trade in deal with only a 5K price delta last year on a end of year close out model, but a 2nd dealer backed out at the last minute and would not transfer the Rubi I wanted to my dealer.

Originally Posted by Mulewhisperer
Also, have you tried selling the Sahara yourself? That 10K might be a smaller figure getting more out of a private sale vs. trading it in.
That is exactly what I would do. I would actually buy the Rubi first and then have a few weeks to transfer my upgrades from the Sahara. Then sell the Sahara privately. 10K is just by ballpark number. I would bet that you are right and I could shrink the gap significantly.

Originally Posted by runit3
The Jeep is an extremely capable vehicle whether it's a Sahara, X, or Rubi. It'll take your family to all those places regardless, how much hard wheeling you do is the limitation. I'd say if you plan on going up to 37's trade up to the Rubi.

You can run upgraded wheels and have e-lockers (not the best, but they do work) bone stock. Suspension would be roughly the same cost for Sahara and Rubi, but necessary re-gearing and tire size is better suited for D44's. Rubi D44's+Gussets+Sleeves would be cheaper than paying someone to swap the Sahara front axle and do the same thing.

I guess if you planned on doing all the labor yourself and selling the Sahara axle you could save more money that way.
Great advise. Part of this deal is that I would do the work myself and have my sons help / learn. I have all the tools and ability except for the Diff build up. I would have to have someone else swap in the lockers and R&P. The idea in the back of my mind is to use the 10K for dual D60s, and then run 37s with confidence. At that point a TF Long arm lift would complete the build but my 10K budget would be toast and I would have some splainin to do to the wife on why I didn't just go buy a Rubi. In my heart of hearts that is what I really want to do, I just can't justify it financially. If I only had a buddy at TeraFlex that would set me up with a front D60 prototype (Hint, Hint). But I am sure they have no shortage of guinea pigs.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by echofoxtrot
Sticking with the Sahara is probably the most cost effective option.

However that didn't stop me from ordering a new Rubicon last week! It will stay very close to stock for a long time as it is more for seeing the continent than say bashing through who knows what for no good reason.
I like the way you think. I typically do not take trails just to say I did. I typically take trails to get to somewhere I want to be.

However, sometimes I do get Moab fever when I come across some great obstacle . . . and say to myself, I wonder if I can? It's a lot more fun when I can than when I can't

When I can't it usually comes down to traction or clearance.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:32 PM
JK Super Freak

If you decide to get a Rubi wait until 2011's are out with new engine. Otherewise build what you have. You could make your JK nicer than a Rubi for $10K.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I like the way you think. I typically do not take trails just to say I did. I typically take trails to get to somewhere I want to be.

However, sometimes I do get Moab fever when I come across some great obstacle . . . and say to myself, I wonder if I can? It's a lot more fun when I can than when I can't

When I can't it usually comes down to traction or clearance.
Ah yes, well who doesn't do that once in a while? You need to push the envelope to find out where your limits are.

Quick Reply: Buy a new Rubicon or build a Saharacon?