Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Buy Back Phone Call

Old 03-14-2012, 08:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They probably are looking to re-stock used vehicles. After all, that is where they make the most money.

Last edited by ZMagic97; 03-15-2012 at 04:16 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JamesWyatt
It's called sales. They do buy your vehicle when you trade it. They will buy it outright, too, because these days they quote auction pricing. No such thing as "trade-in value" like on the Kelly Blue Book site.

The "trick" is making you think it's a special program or a unique sale. That's just people trying to make a buck. We all produce widgets for some company that tries to sell things the same way. Car dealers just get bad raps because everyone gets a different deal and no one can be sure if they made out ok or got f*cked. And there's nothing we Americans hate more than not getting the "best deal." Their greed plays to our greed. All you can hope for is they use lube and don't go all prison break on you.

Saturn had fixed prices on new cars and they didn't survive. Their product was fine - but we are slaves to the bargain hunting.

So don't blame the sales guy, finance manager or anyone else for the system. It's the system you support and maintain every time you cha-ching out the door in another vehicle.
Originally Posted by ZMagic97
They probably are looking to re-stock use vehicles. After all, that is where they make the most money.
Bingo. These guys are correct.

Since the economy took a dump 4-5 years ago people have lost jobs in large quantities, prices have risen for every day things, income levels have fallen, and folks have had to make less money go farther. Consequently people are holding onto vehicles longer than they were a few years ago. All of this is verifiable statistically.

This means dealerships are seeing less newer, good shape, low mileage used cars coming in on trade for them to resell. I know I've driven by a few car auction places in the last few years and noticed remarkably less vehicles in the lot and what was there was looking more and more vintage.

All this has ended up in dealerships actively seeking good shape used vehicles. My gf has a 2009 Honda Accord and she gets something every week or so from her dealership, the other Honda dealership, and several other dealerships here in Lexington to bring it in. "They'll pay cash!", "excellent trade in!", "higher than blue book!", etc etc etc. I've even gotten a few for my 111,000 mile 2002 Chevy Tracker 4x4 bare bones stripper model.

It's not a scam. Good news is as James mentioned they NEED good used vehicles so if you have one you'll get a better trade in value for them than you would have a few years ago.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by deathboyardee
Why would they want it because of the warranty? They still get paid on warranty work one way or another. I don't think this would be an actual "Jeep sales gimmick" to get them out of it so the warranty then becomes useless as it is not transferable to the second owner.
As I said - rumor!

I can't point you to any references, but here's what happened to me. I got the call from corporate encouraging me to take my 08 to any dealer so they could make me an offer. So I did. Once they saw the lift and after market drive shafts, they were no longer interested and said I "may" have voided my lifetime warrenty. This was in 2010.
Ended up trading for 10 anyways...

Quick Reply: Buy Back Phone Call