Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Buy another Jeep or Replace Engine

Old 09-23-2020, 11:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I would definitely check into the 5 year/100k mile warranty for that first and foremost! Secondly, check your area to see if you can find a cheap take-out engine. I don't know if there were any changes between the 3.6 that came in the JK's compared to the 3.6 that came in the JL's...but I found an engine, transmission, and transfer case with only 759 miles for only $2200 out of a JL in Phoenix. May be worth looking into and making an offer on just the engine if it is swappable. See the link below.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/p...182912501.html

You will lose your butt off and still have a bunch to owe if you let it get repossessed. The last thing that you could do is contact your insurance company and see if they can cover it. Your Jeep is an off-road vehicle. If it gets damaged off-road...then it could be covered. "Hint-Hint" I had a Grand Cherokee take on water after getting stuck in a huge mudhole around 15 years ago. It was an off-road vehicle, so they covered it. Just another thought.

Old 09-24-2020, 06:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Very nice ride.

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
What kind of hole do you have in the block? I bought a 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am new. With fewer than a 1,000 miles, I noticed antifreeze pooling up under it. Just a slight amount. I found a casting defect hole about the size of a dime in the block. The dealership was willing to replace the motor, but the last thing I wanted was a mechanic tearing into my brand new Trans Am. So I took some Marine-Tex epoxy adhesive and used it to fill that small hole. The car is now at 49,000 miles and has never had any further problems with antifreeze leaks. If that's the kind of hole you're talking about (and not a crack), I'd give that go first. I would not attempt that if it's a crack that can spread, however.

Quick Reply: Buy another Jeep or Replace Engine