Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Buy another Jeep or Replace Engine

Old 09-05-2020, 09:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buy another Jeep or Replace Engine

Sad News: At only 90,000 miles, my 2015 Jeep Wrangler sport was found by my mechanic to have a hole on the cylinder block. Basically I知 going to have to replace the engine 😞 Has anyone here ever have to replace their engine? If so how was the experience? How much did you pay? How long did you wait? I have no other choice but to replace it because I知 still making at least 3 more years of car payments on it. (I bought it used from CarMax). Unfortunately not covered under warranty.

Since I知 still making payments on it, should I just have the finance company repossess it and relieve me of my payments, or should I just pay for a new engine replacement and labor $7k+?

i was thinking with that amount of money I could put it as a down payment on another Jeep.

Old 09-05-2020, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Received 410 Likes on 385 Posts

A very unfortunate situation. What caused the HOLE in the Block? Should you decide to let it go back to the lender; purchase the replacement before that hits your credit report. At 90K, and the projected $7k expense I would lean me toward a newer Wrangler or newer vehicle. BTW salvage yards Know the price of reman's and price their product accordingly. Good Luck.
The following users liked this post:
inkedwrangler (09-05-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 09:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jay2013jk
A very unfortunate situation. What caused the HOLE in the Block? Should you decide to let it go back to the lender; purchase the replacement before that hits your credit report. At 90K, and the projected $7k expense I would lean me toward a newer Wrangler or newer vehicle. BTW salvage yards Know the price of reman's and price their product accordingly. Good Luck.

Thank you, I was leaning towards the latter myself
Old 09-05-2020, 10:56 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

2015's have a 5/100,000 mile warranty..
The following users liked this post:
inkedwrangler (09-05-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 10:59 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

if you want to screw up your life and credit for ever then let it be repoed. totally the wrong thing to do. Not the financial institutions fault...can not believe that would be even an option a person would think about...no wonder we are messed up...
Old 09-05-2020, 02:39 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Gosh, you can find takeout 3.6Ls for $1500-$1800 round my area. Shucks, I bought something from someone on CL and they practically begged me to take a full 3.6L takeout for $150 so they could free up the space on the side of the garage. I just didn't want to deal with lugging one around for no reason.
Old 09-06-2020, 12:00 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

What kind of hole do you have in the block? I bought a 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am new. With fewer than a 1,000 miles, I noticed antifreeze pooling up under it. Just a slight amount. I found a casting defect hole about the size of a dime in the block. The dealership was willing to replace the motor, but the last thing I wanted was a mechanic tearing into my brand new Trans Am. So I took some Marine-Tex epoxy adhesive and used it to fill that small hole. The car is now at 49,000 miles and has never had any further problems with antifreeze leaks. If that's the kind of hole you're talking about (and not a crack), I'd give that go first. I would not attempt that if it's a crack that can spread, however.

Old 09-06-2020, 12:06 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
What kind of hole do you have in the block? I bought a 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am new. With fewer than a 1,000 miles, I noticed antifreeze pooling up under it. Just a slight amount. I found a casting defect hole about the size of a dime in the block. The dealership was willing to replace the motor, but the last thing I wanted was a mechanic tearing into my brand new Trans Am. So I took some Marine-Tex epoxy adhesive and used it to fill that small hole. The car is now at 49,000 miles and has never had any further problems with antifreeze leaks. If that's the kind of hole you're talking about (and not a crack), I'd give that go first. I would not attempt that if it's a crack that can spread, however.

Old 09-06-2020, 05:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I know it's a 3.8, but I was at a shop the other day where a guy had a new remanufactured engine installed for around
$2300 with a warranty.
$7k seems way high

Last edited by Reddout99; 09-11-2020 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-19-2020, 02:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Don稚 think that letting the bank take the jeep back relieves you of your payments. The bank will auction your Jeep off for almost nothing. You will be responsible for the remainder left on your loan. If you do not pay it, it goes to collections.. court... etc...

It sounds like you bought more vehicle than you can afford. I壇 find another cheap vehicle for a grand and get you by while you leave your Jeep parked and can afford to fix it while keeping your payments on the Jeep.

Quick Reply: Buy another Jeep or Replace Engine