Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Buy 10A Rubicon or wait for Rubicon X?

Old 08-29-2013, 10:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a reason why Jeep keeps spitting out their appearance packages. The marketing works. Unfortunately, the consumer doesn't realize they're paying for decals, seat embroidery, and watered-down bumpers. The steel bumpers on the 10A (and subsequently the Rubicon X) aren't bad, but factor in the price difference between that and just a standard Rubi and you're still paying a lot of money for bumpers that are inferior to aftermarket options that still cost less. I kinda felt sorry for people who forked out a ton of money for the Arctic Edition, Jeep marketing it as an "Extreme Weather Adventurer," when all it was was a unique color and a nifty hood decal that Jeep eventually made available on all models a few months later.

Sure, you get the leather seats in the 10A and X, too, but if you plan on doing even semi-regular wheeling and getting in and out of your Jeep a lot, you can kiss those goodbye. They aren't going to last.

Originally Posted by Mschneid
The 10a and X are over priced. I custom ordered my 2012 JKUR exactly the way I wanted it nothing more nothing less. I put more substantial bumpers, rock rails, lift, tires, and so on and I still don't have the cost of the 10a into it. When I bought mine the MW3 was around $43-46k I paid $36 for my 2012
I never saw a MW3 for less than $42k myself when they first hit the lot and yet people scooped them up without considering the fact that you could simply buy a stock Rubi, go out and buy yourself the full versions of the AEV bumpers and hood, and still end up saving a few grand.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spank
I kinda felt sorry for people who forked out a ton of money for the Arctic Edition, Jeep marketing it as an "Extreme Weather Adventurer," when all it was was a unique color and a nifty hood decal that Jeep eventually made available on all models a few months later.
kind of the same deal with the MOAB edition

Last edited by kh202; 08-29-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kh202
kind of the same deal with the MOAB edition
That's right. I forgot about the Half-a-Rubicon model that costs as much as a full one.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:33 AM
JK Newbie

I realize I'm spending more money with buying the X then a standard rubicon then building it up. But if you knew my aftermarket history you would see why I would be taking the choice of just getting it from factory. Every part I've bought has had some kind of issue with it. Then nearly every part that I had the issue with also had an issue returning it and getting a replacement. This reason and the fact that it'll be under warranty is why I would shell out the extra cash for the X.. peace of mind. I know I can get better after market stuff for cheaper as well but for what I plan on doing with it, this stuff is more then enough. I might not even want to ever get a lift.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

90% of the 10A's are being sold with black leather not red. Only the very early ones are red, or customer orders can come that way. I just changed my 08 Rubicon over to a 10A look. But I have the 12 cloth interior rather than leather.

If given the choice you'll need to decide how much you will mod the jeep. I planned to essentially remove everything from mine, plus repaint it (at some point) when I bought mine new in 08. I didn't like the color choices (except detonator yellow, but my TJ was solar yellow already) so I bought black for an easy re-paint. Crush showed up so I knew what color. Then I decided on the 10A hood with the bulge and vents for a future motor swap. My axles are gone, my suspension is gone. All rubicon body protection is gone. I was able to sell all that off and make quite a bit of money, bridging the difference between a sport (x at the time) and the Rubicon. I still have the 4-1 Tcase and e-swaybar from the Rubicon model. Back then you couldn't get Nav on an X as well.

I heard the new 10X was supposed to be "no leather" and minus some other options to keep the price down?

If I were looking now and I had choices backwards, I'd look for a good recent used jeep, or I'd order a sport and start looking for Rubicon take off parts. The tcase = 1000. Rockers 100, shocks and springs 100, etc.

Since they've been out several years take off parts are now readily available unlike when I started out.

Quick Reply: Buy 10A Rubicon or wait for Rubicon X?