Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Build or buy

Old 05-04-2012, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow... I've been missing a lot of fun while I wasn't near a computer! Crazy. Get a Rubi if you want something that is gonna get you somewhere right out of the box. If you are looking to build your rig and you are willing to spend a lot of money getting to the point of 40 inch tires and 5.13 gears, huge lift, yadda yadda yadda, then a sport is completely fine. I love my Sport and it's capable right out of the box. I've seen what a stock Rubi can do also. Just make your comparison to adding lockers, e-discos, rock rails, new tires, and gears, and see where you land. I'll bet it gets expensive. And all those changes you can't finance in either. Either way you look at it, you'll still have a Jeep and it'll still get you places that a Hummer can't go!
Old 05-04-2012, 05:45 PM
JK Freak

If you are in the financial position to buy a Rubicon used rather than buying a new one then I would say just to build up the sport slowly over time. Don't get into a bigger and longer payment when you will still need funds to add stuff like bumpers anyways. Just try to do upgrades that can easily be transfered to a new jeep if a year from now you still would like to buy, at least you will have more 2012s on the used market. Upgradding to the new engine and trans adds more justification than just the axles and tcase.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:33 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the great thougths. When I had my YJ I had lots of time (no kids) and alot more money. So I build it up to what I wanted and it was awesome. Fast forward 10 years and 3 kids, I don't have alot of time or alot of extra cash to build - and I want to start taking my kids out wheel'n this summer. My long term plan (since this will be my daily criver as well) is not to go too big - 4" lift, 35", so if I can find a gentally used (and most people in Northern VA don't even get them dirty) Rubi, I think that's what I am going to do. This way I already have the lockers, skids, and tires (smaller than I ultimately want) already done. Then once the kids are older and I have more time and money, I will be able to replace old worn parts with now and build more if I want.

Cheers!!!
Old 05-08-2012, 04:53 PM
JK Junkie

Either direction you regret it

Quick Reply: Build or buy